Orpington Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by colowyo0809, Jun 11, 2010.

1. colowyo0809

colowyo0809 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Dacono, CO
    So, I noticed that there was no actual official thread for Orpingtons! This is very disturbing! I know that there are people out here that like, nay, love the Orpington!! So, post! Post your pics! Tell us your stories!! Make this the place that people go to for Orpington Information!! Black, Red, White, Lavender, Buff, Laced, Bantam, Green!! Whatever Orpington you raise, tell us about them!! Tell us why and how!! Make us proud!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] golly that was exhausting!

So, in addition to other breeds, we have one white orpington. Her name is Ophie! These are her pics!

Here she is as a young girl (she's white one!)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here she is in the sun for the first time
    [​IMG]

Here she is shortly after getting into her new coop home
    [​IMG]

And here she is, today!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well there is an UNofficial, Official Orpington thread on BYC.
    Here is my first pic of Flozelle. And real Black Orpington.
    Let me pop off some more pics and I will add to this one.

[​IMG]

3. Chick N Ug

Chick N Ug Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2009
    Boulder, CO
    [​IMG]

This is our Broody Buff Orpington. She just hatched nine babies last week!

4. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Uh. if there is no Orpington thread, then what is it I have been posting at for several weeks, and avidly looking at beautiful Orps on? [​IMG]

5. lildinkem

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Quote:This may be more catering to those who may like using Orpingtons to make newer varieties in addition to those on the other thread. Alot of folks like to make newer varieties and that may mean not doing it the conventional way. Which means using other breeds like Speckeled Sussex to make newer and cooler looking Orpingtons. The other thread really is not into encouraging mixing breeds. I got ALOT of stuff thrown at me for showing a NON PUREBRED bird.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  6. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    lildinkem- well I like all sorts of Orps, so the more threads the merrier! And cross breeding does not offend me in the least.

7. lildinkem

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Quote:There is alot to learn when you mix different genetics in. I think many folks wonder what if? This is a better "what if" thread to talk about those breedings.

8. colowyo0809

colowyo0809 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Dacono, CO
    Quote:Yeah, funny story! After I posted this I found the other thread. So, then I reported this thread and asked that it be removed since there already was such a great thread going [​IMG]
    I went through five pages of searching before giving up and starting this one. Also, I recommended that the other one be the one that gets listed in that "notable breed threads" list that is stickied at the top of this subject forum [​IMG]
    And I've posted in that thread as well.

And, I think it'd be cool to use this as a "what if" thread as lild mentioned [​IMG]

9. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:I was just going to post this tillI saw yours lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by