Orpington with bluish red comb

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

So sorry about your hen. When combs turn bluish or dark, it's generally a heart/circulation problem. She's an old gal, she no doubt has heart disease at her age. :hugs

Is her belly squishy too? If so, she may have congestive
No squishy belly. I lost a Maggie to ascites about 8 months ago so I familiar with symptoms. Maggie walked likes cowboy from her belly being full. Millie is currently exhibiting only the comb discoloration. Could be early symptom of ascites unfortunately I know I can’t fix it☹️. I will post before and after photos of her comb after I let her out to range today.

No squishy belly. I lost a Maggie to ascites about 8 months ago so I familiar with symptoms. Maggie walked likes cowboy from her belly being full. Millie is currently exhibiting only the comb discoloration. Could be early symptom of ascites unfortunately I know I can’t fix it☹️. I will post before and after photos of her comb after I let her out to range today.
She could still have congestive heart failure, it depends on which side of the heart is being effected. I believe, but don't quote on this, but it's the left side of the heart that leaks fluid into the body cavities. If the right side is effected, generally they get an enlarged heart with poor circulation until late stages where the left side begins to become damaged. As the heart beats hard to overcome the increasing size, it scars making it harder to beat and breathe, circulation gets worse. I have had several birds with congestive heart failure, one had ascites, the two others not, all had enlarged hearts. A couple of them had strokes because of it. There isn't much you can do for this condition other than spend time with her and appreciate her. :hugs

She could still have congestive heart failure, it depends on which side of the heart is being effected. I believe, but don't quote on this, but it's the left side of the heart that leaks fluid into the body cavities. If the right side is effected, generally they get an enlarged heart with poor circulation until late stages where the left side begins to become damaged. As the heart beats hard to overcome the increasing size, it scars making it harder to beat and breathe, circulation gets worse. I have had several birds with congestive heart failure, one had ascites, the two others not, all had enlarged hearts. A couple of them had strokes because of it. There isn't much you can do for this condition other than spend time with her and appreciate her. :hugs
Well….sorry for delaying photos but my hen made me into a liar.
I have tried to get before and after photos but all I get is BEFORE. Comb is staying normal red tone. Puzzling but good. Thanks for everyone’s input it really helps. Appears fellow chicken owners are the good resource when for health issues/behavioral issues. I’ll keep posted if anything changes.

Attachments

• IMG_0306.jpeg
    IMG_0306.jpeg
    977.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0327.jpeg
    IMG_0327.jpeg
    482.3 KB · Views: 2
Well….sorry for delaying photos but my hen made me into a liar.
I have tried to get before and after photos but all I get is BEFORE. Comb is staying normal red tone. Puzzling but good. Thanks for everyone’s input it really helps. Appears fellow chicken owners are the good resource when for health issues/behavioral issues. I’ll keep posted if anything changes.
@Chichisx5 I had a hen that when she was younger would go pale in the comb when she exerted herself. This went on for her first couple years and then just stopped one year, stayed bright red. :idunno Your gal looks great! ❤ Keep an eye on her and keep us posted if something changes! 😊

Back
Top Bottom