Orpington with different comb?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lmz534, Aug 27, 2011.

1. lmz534

lmz534 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    i have 3 White Orp pullets, just started laying. One of them has a light pink comb and hardly any waddle. The other two are red, no one is crowing and they are all laying, so not roos. Just unsure why the one is so different? Any answers would be appreciated! The chicken in the foreground is the oen I was wondering about, the other two look just like the one in the background.
    [​IMG]

2. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry to say that the one with the bigger comb is a rooster. If they are the same age, he is definitely a rooster.

~Kelly~
    My Country Chronicles Blog

3. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Quote:I think I have to agree. sure that one is laying? Do you have a pic of the full body?

4. binza1979

binza1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    I have buff orpingtons and one had a huge comb and waddle in comparison to the other for a long time...even after both started laying. The one with small comb and waddle caught up and now looks like the other one...so you just never know!

5. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Be careful jumping to conclusions based on comb and waddles. I had a mystery crow one morning and posted pictures of my birds. I had people tell me my buff was a rooster, had people tell me my australorp was a rooster, I even had some suggest my sex link was a rooster. We treat ours like pets so I wanted to make sure before I made a jump and got rid of a bird because it was a rooster. Well as it turned out I had a weird little hen crow, all three of my birds are now laying. If I had jumped to conclusions I would have gotten rid of one of our favorite birds in the buff.

6. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    I've got two that are the same age and have very different comb/wattles. Chickens develop individually and at diffent rates- just like humans.
    Mine are both hens.

7. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Those are both pullets (young hens).

Like stated above, all birds mature differently. The slow to lay bird will start when she is ready - and her system mature.

8. lmz534

lmz534 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    Wow thanks guys! I will try to post more full body pics. None have long tail feathers or hackle feathers and like I said, no one crowing and they are def. over 20 wks of age. I'm 90% positive all have layed. I guess I will watch and wait, don't wanna go getting rid of anyone yet either! Thanks for sharing your experience and advice [​IMG]

9. daver

daver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Linden, NC
    We have three buff orp pullets at sixteen weeks.

All 3 have different looking combs at this point, but not laying.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by