Orpington!

CaliFarmsAR

Free Ranging
Apr 26, 2019
Arkansas
Who loves Orpingtons? I do! I have had great experience with this friendly, fluffy, sweet breed!! Today I picked up my first Buff rooster and I’m sooo happy with him! We have 4 Buff hens as well so in 2022 I plan on breeding and selling their chicks! What do you love about them? What’s your experience? This is where we can talk Orpingtons!
My new big boy! He’s the biggest rooster I’ve ever seen!!
BE9E899B-2D0B-4CA9-BCEB-F4DE4C1D4D37.jpeg
7BB73C8D-0785-4E0F-9915-CB4D70708B63.jpeg

Him and him hens!
5ECEDFA7-49DF-4927-A5F4-3FFBCE2C78BA.jpeg

What a gorgeous boy! My Buff Orp is my last original hen and the lone survivor of a mink attack that killed her three coop mates.

Honey flew to the highest roost and was up there when I heard the ruckus and chased off the killer. She was weirded out for a while, but soon became her old self.

She LOVES grapes (as do the rest of the girls) and is, I think, a bit mischievous. She hides when it's time to stop free ranging and settle into the coop for the night. I've gotten frantic phone calls from the person who sometimes watches the flock when I'm traveling. Honey is simply nowhere to be found. Yelling, "chick, chick," gets everyone else on track. Not her.

I finally taught Dawn the ultimate trick. I simply stand in the yard with a handful of grapes and calmly call, "Where's my fine hen?" Honey comes running for her treats, and I pop her into the coop.

Honey is the grand dame of the flock, and I am more than happy to accommodate her.

What a gorgeous boy! My Buff Orp is my last original hen and the lone survivor of a mink attack that killed her three coop mates.

Honey flew to the highest roost and was up there when I heard the ruckus and chased off the killer. She was weirded out for a while, but soon became her old self.

She LOVES grapes (as do the rest of the girls) and is, I think, a bit mischievous. She hides when it's time to stop free ranging and settle into the coop for the night. I've gotten frantic phone calls from the person who sometimes watches the flock when I'm traveling. Honey is simply nowhere to be found. Yelling, "chick, chick," gets everyone else on track. Not her.

I finally taught Dawn the ultimate trick. I simply stand in the yard with a handful of grapes and calmly call, "Where's my fine hen?" Honey comes running for her treats, and I pop her into the coop.

Honey is the grand dame of the flock, and I am more than happy to accommodate her.
Thank you! Sorry to hear about the girls! Wow she seems like a awesome hen to go through all that!

Your Roo is so handsome!!! I am a first time chick mom .. after getting what I thought was 2 buff orpingtons from Tractor Supply .. I ended up with 1! (other one is believed to be a red sex linked .. time will tell).. Well Dorothy (praying she is a pullet) is SO sweet and almost motherly to the other chicks (my biggest girl).. she also likes my dog :) She is about 5 weeks now!

Attachments

• 20210506_064259(0).jpg
    20210506_064259(0).jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210506_061834.jpg
    20210506_061834.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210509_084957.jpg
    20210509_084957.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 5
Your Roo is so handsome!!! I am a first time chick mom .. after getting what I thought was 2 buff orpingtons from Tractor Supply .. I ended up with 1! (other one is believed to be a red sex linked .. time will tell).. Well Dorothy (praying she is a pullet) is SO sweet and almost motherly to the other chicks (my biggest girl).. she also likes my dog
:)
She is about 5 weeks now!
Thank you! Your buff chick is soo cute!! I love Orpingtons!

These are our girls, Debbie and Faux, both Buff Orps. They are so cool and docile, they let us pick them up and eat from our hands. They also love getting into my potted lemon trees. At least they clean the trees of bugs even though they end up throwing a lot of the dirt out!

20201108_174449.jpg

This is Wendy and Julie (my wife named her Wendy because of Wendy's chicken nuggets). They are Lavender Orps that we hatched. They are currently 10 days old. There is a third that had difficulty hatching (think he might be a roo). He pipped then took a long time and didn't get too far on his zip before he just completely stopped and his membrane dried out. My wife had to assist with the hatching. One leg is splayed out so we have it hobbled to the other. As of today, he is standing upright, so hopefully he will make it. His name is Zippy since he had issues zipping.

20210505_231228.jpg

We just picked up two Chocolate Orps last night that are two days old and they are getting along with the Lavenders. We are probably going to name them Mocha and Latte. Don't have pics yet.

These are our girls, Debbie and Faux, both Buff Orps. They are so cool and docile, they let us pick them up and eat from our hands. They also love getting into my potted lemon trees. At least they clean the trees of bugs even though they end up throwing a lot of the dirt out!

View attachment 2669625

This is Wendy and Julie (my wife named her Wendy because of Wendy's chicken nuggets). They are Lavender Orps that we hatched. They are currently 10 days old. There is a third that had difficulty hatching (think he might be a roo). He pipped then took a long time and didn't get too far on his zip before he just completely stopped and his membrane dried out. My wife had to assist with the hatching. One leg is splayed out so we have it hobbled to the other. As of today, he is standing upright, so hopefully he will make it. His name is Zippy since he had issues zipping.

View attachment 2669627

We just picked up two Chocolate Orps last night that are two days old and they are getting along with the Lavenders. We are probably going to name them Mocha and Latte. Don't have pics yet.
Soo cute!! Beautiful girls!

Back
Top Bottom