Orpingtons in cold weather...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ObamaBrahma, Nov 22, 2011.

1. ObamaBrahma

ObamaBrahma Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Hi everyone,

I have 1 Buff Brahma roo, 8 Barred Rock hens, 1 Barred Rock roo and 1 buff orpington roo. I need to finish filling the freezer with the rest of my roos (except the barred rock, he's a keeper). However, the buff orpington seems to be sick or hating the cold weather we've been getting lately. I'm not sure what it is. It's been hovering around -15 C or 5 F up here the last few days (4-5 days) with snow on the ground, etc. All of the birds seem fine in this weather, except the orpington. So, I have a couple of questions.

1. Are orpingtons suited to this sort of climate? I thought they were pretty hardy, but he seemed to be more recluse since the weather changed (even at 20-25 Farenheit). His tail droops, his comb and wattle are more pale, and he seems to spend the majority of his time sleeping. I haven't noticed any irregular stools, though I have noticed he isn't as eager about getting at the food and water.

2. I was going to kill and eat him anyway, but should I be worried about eating him if he's sick?

Otherwise, everything seems to be running smoothly for my first batch of chickens. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sounds like he may be sick, as Orpingtons are supposed to be very cold hardy. I have 4, 9 month old Black Orpingtons and although the coldest we have seen this winter has been 12 degrees, they pranced around like it was a sunny 70 degree day.

So it is possible that there is something wrong with your Orp. As far as eating him, I would be leary about it until I knew what exactly he had as far as illness.

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    It doesn't sound weather related to me either. I would worm him, and maybe even start an antibiotic. Don't bother with either option if all you really want to do is send him to freezer camp.

4. Dirty Farmer

Dirty Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    If he's cold now and dosn't like it. He sure isn't going to be happy being put in your freezer. [​IMG]

5. egglicious

egglicious Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    He sounds ill. I would not eat him if I were you..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by