Orps and Wyandotts

Aint that funny how some breeder and hatchery stock have different personalities? Every time i have ever raised chickens SLW and BOs are a must. I JUST LUV thier personalities. My BO roo is great, sweet as can be. Just like the BO roo I had growing up. The hens are a little stand offish but warm right up to you when you pick them up. My roo and my pullets came from totally different states.My SLW pullets used to be skittish when they were younger but now that they are laying age they are much sweeter. Every time I get near one she squats down and shows submission. My SLW roo on the other hand came from MMH. He is a bossy rooster and will have no problem taking over dominant role once I move them to thier own pen. He is only 5 months old yet, he loves practice his scrappin skills with his 5 month old Egyptian Fayoumis brooder mate. He is not too friendly that I can tell yet. This is my first time with a slw roo, I always just had hens and pullets before. I think you made a great choice keeping one of each kind.

new pics from my project. this is what you are working towards these are my blue laced and gold laced orpingtons. Go to bluehenhatchery.com for more pics.
18281_100_0230.jpg

Last edited:
My GLW are definately more "flighty" than the EEs I raised last year. I tell my DH I hope I don't die in the coop since the 'dottes would eat me in 5 minutes. They're only 10 weeks old and very impolite. They're a bunch of ankle biters! The packing peanut roos will take my thumb and try to twist it off! They're gonna be gone! The pullets are a bit schizophrenic. One minute, they want to sit in my lap, the next they're screaming bloody murder if I come near them. Then the little princesses are at my ankles begging for attention again. But, my dottes are the most curious and fun things, yet. Does that make sense at all?
big_smile.png
I wouldn't trade them for the world.

The GLW are from Strombergs.

My bro-inlaw's orps are the most docile thing I've ever seen but they seem indifferent to human interaction. Then again, he doesn't spend "quality time" with them. They're there to lay eggs.

I have 52 GLW, 10 EEs and have 25 BLRW coming soon.

You'll find that most Wyandottes bought from hatcheries are flighty for some reason. All mine are from breeders, and mine are pretty even tempered, even friendly. I'd really like to know what the hatchery breeders have done to make their birds so skittish.

Very cool to see the picture of BO/GLW cross. I have some mutts in the incubator right now that are crosses with these two, going both ways. Also, if all goes well, we should end up with some SLW/GLW cross chicks too.
fl.gif
I was going to seperate them into there own coops and let them breed true, but they all are so much happier out free ranging i didn't have the heart to lock them up for a month.
sad.png

Bluehenhatchery.com :

these are not crosses they are pure blue laced and gold laced orpingtons from europe.:
big_smile.png

Yes, I understand that, but they all started somewhere, just as dog breeds, fruit varaties, etc.. I guess I was misunderstood in my post. I thought it interesting to see what COULD evolve from crossing these different breeds.
big_smile.png

Bluehenhatchery.com :

these are not crosses they are pure blue laced and gold laced orpingtons from europe.:
big_smile.png

So did you manage to find some GL Orps here in the US, or did you have to import them yourself?​

Back
Top Bottom