OSB - will chickens be able to scratch the chips from the board?

MadChickensVT

Songster
11 Years
Sep 5, 2011
Middlebury, Vermont
I'm thinking of using OSB for most of my coop. I'm wondering if the chickens will be able to get the chips loose by scratching at it? I'm not too worried about the OSB being harmed, but I'm worried about the chickens ingesting the glues that are in it. Seems like it wouldn't be too much of a problem on the walls, but I wonder about the floor. I'm planning on using the deep litter method but they'd still be able to scratch down to the floor if they wanted to.

Thanks for any info

At least in the PNW... osb exposed to moisture, such as chicken poop or the ground, usually ends up a mushy soggy sagging mess within a few years. It does however rain about 150 days a year, is cloudy about 200 days a year, and partially cloudy for almost 100 days on average per year. Because of the only 60 or so days of clear skies and sun, I used zero OSB anywhere on the coops and our house also has none. If your area is dry though, I'd paint it, put a good layer of litter over it, and call it good.

Just my opinion... While OSB may be cheap it's true purpose is as an underlayment for other materials like flooring, roofing, and siding. As Silkie said it readily absorbs moisture. As an exterior siding, you will find that it will need be painted almost yearly to keep it from disintegrating in a few years. On the floor it could be used as an underlayment for some cheap linoleum or tile, but if the underside is exposed to the dampness that develops under a coop it may not last long. About the only good use would be as a liner for the coop. Not exposed to the elements it will stand up quite well.

Last edited:
I used USB for the interior and then primed and painted with high-gloss enamel paint. The girls picked one little chip the first night in the coop and haven't touched it since. I also have linoleum on the floor. You can see more details on my byc page.

Yes I realize it's not meant for high-moisture areas. However it is much less expensive than plywood OF THE SAME EXPOSURE RATING, and makes better use of natural resources. I also know that there's a lot of bias against it. I've done a few years of building and I keep up on building science.

From what I've been reading it sounds like the deep litter method can minimize moisture?

We decided against OSB for our floor. We thought it would not stand up to moisture as well so we went with some 3/4" plywood sheathing that's made for floors and we put 2 coats of paint on it, and will cover it with linoleum as well. The walls are smart siding though, and that is OSB on the inside. It will have at least 2 coats of paint on it on the inside. It gets humid here but nothing like the PNW.

Back
Top Bottom