OSB?

Osb is the $6 a sheet stuff, looks like a bunch of little pieces glued together.

Painted it can last as long as it is painted well. The T siding is no water proof either and needs to be painted to last.

My #2 coop is made of OSB (Oriented Strand Board). I painted it with a primer and three coats of Glidden outdoor paint (I don't remember the composition). It's holding up quite well. The only things I foresee causing trouble are physical damage and sun damage. Once you chip a piece off, the seal is broken in that spot. I haven't had to deal with UV damage yet and the paint is supposed to be UV resistant, but nothing is UV-proof.

Its painted with Kilz Casual Color (Tropical Foliage is the color) It's covered to Kilz Primer and the paint so it should be good. I think the overhang should help.

I hate it myself, too splintery on the edges, but this time, in reworking part of a shed for a new coop, we did get some. It was less than $6/sheet. Price certainly won out in these hard times and it's all interior usage anyway. I would probably never use it outside.

EDITED TO ADD: Wanted to clarify that I dont like the way it looks, even painted, so that's why I'd not use it outside. Painted well, it should hold up,though.

Last edited:
OSB is very good for sheathing material of sheds. Some of the big places the ahve those storage sheds use OSB for the outside sheathing. The key is to make sure it is properly primed and painted. Just amke sure that you seal all joints where two pieces meet with a good latex caulk. This will prevent drafts and leaks.

Also a trick I learned from watching Ask This Old House on PBS is to use some liguid nails where two pieces of wood meet in the framing and sheathing.

If you really want to weatherproof it you can always try coating it with a Verathane sealant when you are done painting. On the inside of the coop I would use solid type panels in any area that they chickens can reach to prevent them from pecking at the OSB.

Just my.02

Thanks! I can't remember the price it cost. I think it was $3 a sheet we got it at a dicount place. I got 5 sheets, so saved a lot of $

Back
Top Bottom