Ostrich Eggs

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by KarenandDerek, May 6, 2013.

1. 29PalmsRanch

29PalmsRanch Chirping

Apr 14, 2013
    Sounds good thanks :)

2. Quote:Unfortunately, we did not get any development inside our ostrich egg, it was either unfertilized or was shaken up in its 3,000 mile mailing...

3. 29PalmsRanch

29PalmsRanch Chirping

Apr 14, 2013
    Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

4. Quote:Yeah, we are a little disappointed, it would have been a neat project but we have enough on our hands with all of our emus!

5. KarenandDerek

KarenandDerek In the Brooder

May 6, 2013
    Norco, CA
    I know the feeling.. Sorry to hear it!

6. eggoland

eggoland In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    Western Colorado
    My grandson had a question & I don't have the answer. How often do ostrich lay & do they sit on a clutch? My grandson & I were watching a show yesterday where they said that one ostrich egg equals two dozen chicken eggs. My grandson asked "Do ostrich lay like our girls?" I know I can always get the answers here. Thanks

7. KarenandDerek

May 6, 2013
    Norco, CA
    We are egg cited ..we have 4 ostrich eggs in our reptile pro 6000 incubator..we put them in a room with fresh air flow via two windows open, a ceiling fan and not latching door of incubator so humidity is running 25 in incubator and room 28. We are turning manually every 4 hours. We have them standing up and have small air sacs showing..looking good for size.. Been there 7 days so far..wish us luck!!! Thanks in advance !!

8. KarenandDerek

May 6, 2013
    Norco, CA
    It is day 41 and two of the 4 ostrich eggs have already hatched..they are so cute!! Running all over the place!! Now to teach them to eat !!!

9. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Congratulations! Post pics when you get a chance.

10. KarenandDerek

May 6, 2013
    Norco, CA
    I wish I knew how to post pix..I'm using my IPAD..maybe should use laptop..got tons of pix and videos!! We named them Okra and Olive!! We love them!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: