Other birds living with quail?

I currently have a pair of button quail housed in a flight aviary, mixed with cordons and orange-cheeked waxbills. I have a separate flight cage that houses another pair of buttons housed with a pair of yellow canaries. Most recently, I've added a pair of Harlequin (Coturnix) quail to my growing hobby. These two are still young, so I have them outdoors when it is warm and sunny, but bring them in at night. At night, they share a cage with one lonesome female dove - who I actually think enjoys their company. So, as far as my limited experience can tell you....buttons can be housed with flight birds ranging in the same size, and Coturnix can be housed with doves, but this is only my experience.

Edited: Wanted to explain why I think the dove enjoys the company of her new quail friends...she hops down from her perch to feed right along side them, chases crickets with them, and bathes in their water dish with no problems. My female cordon does the same thing along side the buttons. It's interesting because the quail don't seem to mind a flight bird beside them, but things are quite different if I try to add a third button quail - I've found that they are truly territorial and monogamous when it comes to another bird of their kind.

Last edited:
They make great little hoovers :) We kept buttons under our budgies for years, we've only recently got coturnix because we were given a lonely male so we decided to get him some girlfriends. I think aviaries are the best way to keep them, you can have a lot of fun creating an environment for them and they have plenty of space to run around and explore

They make great little hoovers :) We kept buttons under our budgies for years, we've only recently got coturnix because we were given a lonely male so we decided to get him some girlfriends. I think aviaries are the best way to keep them, you can have a lot of fun creating an environment for them and they have plenty of space to run around and explore

lol.png
Thanks!

Yes. Well, button quail can be housed in aviaries with finches and all those types of birds. If you plan on breeding your quail though, I wouldn't house them together, the birds might attack the chicks. Actually, there's a chance that the quail will attack the birds or the birds will attack the quail (it's not likely though). I know people who house button quail with their finches because they clean up the seed that drops down. My pair of king quails were bought from a pet shop which housed them with finches.

I had a male button quail that lived with a female coturnix they realllly liked each other.... He was too little to properly mate with her but he really loved trying.... A lot. We also have a young pigeon sharing a cage with our coturnix until we can get her house properly secured and she hangs out with one of my tuxes. We also have a female bobwhite in there who is buddy buddy with our wild colored female coturnix. It definitely depends on the birds and the situation, our female bobwhite lost her boyfriend and was miserable so we put her with the coturnix and watched her carefully and she is so much happier now. Instead of being sad she dust bathes with her bestie and they snuggle up together to sleep. Similar situation with the button quail he was the odd bird out and was sad and the girl coturnix was being picked on by her cage mates so we put them together.

I had a pair of buttons that successfully raised chicks in a mixed species aviary. We had finches and doves with them. There was plenty of cover and nesting sites for everyone. The quail helped clean up spilled food from the other birds, but they also had their own crumbles to eat.

Back
Top Bottom