Other birds living with quail?

from what I have learnt quails are teratorial and will fight to death

so although they are from the pheasant family

its best keep quails with quails only not even pheasants

infact don't even keep them with other genus quails

I've seen doves housed together with quails. I'm not sure if that poses any problems but the owner told me he didn't have any for 2 years now. I'm sure a more experieneced member can probably clear things up on this.

Hi there,

We keep quail on the floor of our aviary, which is almost exclusively how quail are kept by hobbyists over here. We've seen them in under pigeons or doves too, but we keep ours under budgies and we've never had a problem, apart from the budgies wanting a bit of every food the quail have, but they don't get at enough for it to be an issue. If you were to get a broody (lol if only) then you might have a problem with birds overhead, I think our budgies might kill a tiny quail chick if they hatched in the aviary, but I would sort that by putting mesh or netting between budgies and quail. I've also seen quail under finches and canaries, and cockatiels with no issues. As long as the quail can get away from the birds if they want to, and you keep the food and water covered to poo doesn't get into it, birds overhead don't seem to cause any problems that I've seen.

Hope this helps.

In a medium sized aviary I keep a pair of californian and a pair of zebra doves. They live together well and given that I fees deeds they eat the same food too.

But (there is always a but), I never managed to get the zebra doves producing any offsprings and I do not know if I should blame the quails.

Well, WE'VE never had an issue with budgies. It does depend on the individual birds, you might get one budgie in a hundred who will harass the quail on the ground, we've seen our budgies sitting on the quail before now, but since the quail have never seemed to care we've left them to their own devices, but if you had a real nasty one who attacked the quail on the ground you might need to separate them.

Good luck with choosing a species!
highfive.gif

Keeping quail with other birds depends on a few choices. First is what species of quail you choose. Some quail, such as Gambles, can be very flighty and can stress other birds when scared. (This can be overcome, but it takes dedication.).

Second, do you plan on breeding the other birds you keep with them? Quail are very curious by nature and peck at anything that moves to see if it's edible.Small birds such as some finches and diamond doves have open nests, and pre-fledged chicks often fall from the nest. The quail might peck at the chicks and injure or kill the chicks.

Budgies should be ok if you use deep nest boxes so the chicks don't try to fledge early. Larger doves such as ringneck doves might be ok (again, build slightly deeper nest boxes for them.

Button quail (Chinese Painted Quail) do well with most cage birds, but again, make sure any small chicks can't fall to the ground.

If you don't plan on breeding the other birds, then you should be ok. Make sure to give the quail enough hiding places to keep them calmer.

Back
Top Bottom