Other Choices of Pellets or Crumble

arcos

In the Brooder
Dec 9, 2018
Orange County NY
I first started my chicks on Scratch and Peck and they loved it. Due to costs I currently have been using New Country Organics Grow Feed. I have a separate feeder for Calcium Chips. I'm also feeding corn occasionally. After using both Scratch and Peck and New Country I have a lot of Fines left from the feed.

What other choices are there for a Pellet or Crumble that's both Soy and Corn Free?

I just bought a bag of their Super premium Pellet to try from New Country.

I first started my chicks on Scratch and Peck and they loved it. Due to costs I currently have been using New Country Organics Grow Feed. I have a separate feeder for Calcium Chips. I'm also feeding corn occasionally. After using both Scratch and Peck and New Country I have a lot of Fines left from the feed.

What other choices are there for a Pellet or Crumble that's both Soy and Corn Free?

I just bought a bag of their Super premium Pellet to try from New Country.

Sometimes companies have a organic no corn no soy whole grain mash. Sounds like you found something. I do ferment mine or at least feed as wet mash because still some fines even in a whole grain so not wasted.

Regardless of what brand or type of feed, the primary ingredients like grains and legumes go into the mix as ground/semi-whole and virtually everything else (vitamins, minerals, fats) go into the feed as powders or liquids. Those will always sift out and end up as fines. So by retaining the fines in a wetted feed, you'll retain all the goodies and they go into the chickens.

Last edited:
I looked at Modesto also but didn't see where you could order online. Also I see they add Diatomaceous Earth which I wasn't sure about .

I don't have the ability to feed fermented food everyday due to my work schedule. But I can store the fines and ferment and feed on the weekends.

https://www.nutrenaworld.com/product/naturewise-hearty-hen

This is soy free, I just bought it but haven’t used it yet. As for fines, when they make a “run” of a certain feed, the first bags will have no fines, but the last few bags in a run will. Most of my bags of feed are low on fines but have bought a bag or two with lots of it. It’s annoying, but not the hardest thing to wet with a bit of milk and fed it that way.

I looked at Modesto also but didn't see where you could order online. Also I see they add Diatomaceous Earth which I wasn't sure about .

I don't have the ability to feed fermented food everyday due to my work schedule. But I can store the fines and ferment and feed on the weekends.

Well I wouldn't order feed online unless I lived so remotely that that was the only option. I just suggested it in case you had it available locally.

I admit I was hesitant to try feeding this because they of the DE but some people do add it to feed, and my flock seems to like these pellets a lot. Plus I figure they eat dirt and wood shavings and even concrete so this can't be any worse.

Since you said you can try serving wet/fermented feed on weekend, maybe try that with the fines and see if the birds will take to it? Using a feed like Scratch & Peck you really want them to eat the fines as all the supplemental vitamins and protein are in there.

Diatomaceous Earth is a healthy and all natural supplement. It’s frequently used by many organic farmers to kill internal parasites.

Health conscious people also mix a spoonful of it in a glass of water or juice and drink it. In addition to the natural parasite killing property, it’s also an excellent source of minerals.

Back
Top Bottom