Other hens pecking my hen around the vent

She pecked out more feathers last night. Pic below shows the damage. The new spot is about 10-11 o'clock in the photo. The light colored spot just off-center right is the scab from when she was being pecked by the other birds. There are still places where the bluecoat is discoloring the feathers.

My questions are these: Is the irritation to her skin coming from her pecking, or is the pecking due to some skin irritation? Is there some topical ointment I can use for the irritation? The other birds remaining in the run are fine, with no evidence of mites/lice. This bird in question also does not have signs of infestation.

She has been isolated in the dog crate for a week now. Her food has been changed over to chick starter as suggested for additional protein. She is not eating much and there is not much in the way of poop in the crate either. I take her outside to be next to the others in the run during the day so she is not so isolated.

Attachments

• chicken3.JPG
    chicken3.JPG
    693.9 KB · Views: 11
I have had bare and red butted birds before, never really figured out why.
Sometimes it came and went within days, other times not.
have also had bare backed birds that pecked their own feathers.
I feed high protein so that wasn't the issue.
Might try pine tar to protect skin and reduce pecking.

She pecked out more feathers last night. Pic below shows the damage. The new spot is about 10-11 o'clock in the photo. The light colored spot just off-center right is the scab from when she was being pecked by the other birds. There are still places where the bluecoat is discoloring the feathers.

My questions are these: Is the irritation to her skin coming from her pecking, or is the pecking due to some skin irritation? Is there some topical ointment I can use for the irritation? The other birds remaining in the run are fine, with no evidence of mites/lice. This bird in question also does not have signs of infestation.

She has been isolated in the dog crate for a week now. Her food has been changed over to chick starter as suggested for additional protein. She is not eating much and there is not much in the way of poop in the crate either. I take her outside to be next to the others in the run during the day so she is not so isolated.
Oh poor girl, I've never had any chicken butts look like that. On peck spots in general I've used Blucote to keep others from pecking, to allow feathers to grow back, but while isolated if there was a raw, bloody spot, I used Neosporin til well healed, then after no longer raw, clean & spray Blucote before going back with others. I don't know why she's doing that. I know dogs get hot spots for no apparent reason, lick a spot raw, I used a natural herbal spray on dogs. I'm sorry I don't have better advice.

In the crate a week...have you changed out wet poopy wood chips? Contained in crate she's forced to sit in moist chips, Maybe like a diaper rash goin on?

It looks very red but not really oozing raw...if that's correct, maybe spray whole area blue & try letting her back in the coop but add boredom busters as mentioned.

Last edited:
Doesn't actually look too bad to me. I was afraid it'd be a very raw, red area, but there's decent pinfeather growth and nothing obviously infected looking from what I can see.

The irritation may be coming from the sensation of the feathers growing back in. Makes some birds mighty irritable. Never tried pine tar but it seems to be recommended in cases where picking progresses even with Blu Kote/Pick no More use.

I put the Barred Rock back in the coop last night because she seemed so out of sorts isolated in the dog crate. I gave her a custom paint job with Blue Coat before putting her out. At the same time I took one of the other birds out that seems to be pretty hyperactive and somewhat of a bully.

I watched them right after they came out of the coop this morning. There were dust ups with the two other hens as the B/R asserted herself. Around noon I put the hen from the confinement pen back in the run. A immediate confrontation happened between her and the B/R. Chest bumping and flying up at each other, but the B/R seemed to prevail.

I monitored them throughout the day. All seems back in order now. The B/R came alive again, with multiple dusting sessions and the others moving out of her way at the feeder.

So I’m calling it a success as of right now. I did finally get pine tar from Amazon......nobody within 50 mile had it. I have to give a Blue Coat touch up when they go to sleep later and will use the pine tar as a last resort if needed. Thanks for all your help!!!

I must say that my first impression of the pine tar is a positive one. I put it on her wound and was immediately struck by how strong smelling it was. Not a totally unpleasant scent to me but when I put her down, the other hens definitely did not like the smell. One got close and prepared to peck. She stopped, tilted her head back and forth, then rubbed her beak on the ground.....like when they pick up something they don't like. I noticed the others giving her a wide berth the rest of the day. The smell was particularly strong when they went into the coop for the night. Hope this works.

I must say that my first impression of the pine tar is a positive one. I put it on her wound and was immediately struck by how strong smelling it was. Not a totally unpleasant scent to me but when I put her down, the other hens definitely did not like the smell. One got close and prepared to peck. She stopped, tilted her head back and forth, then rubbed her beak on the ground.....like when they pick up something they don't like. I noticed the others giving her a wide berth the rest of the day. The smell was particularly strong when they went into the coop for the night. Hope this works.
Pine tar...might be something good to keep handy. Wonder where I might find some. Can you share the link for the one you got on Amazon? All I saw were soaps, horse hoof or wood treatments Lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom