Other Pets & Livestock Database

Name: German Shepherd Dog

Experience Needed: careful research and finding a good breeder. Obedience training is a must with this breed as is socialization.

Origin: Germany (where else?
smile.png
)

Diet: quality kibble or species appropriate raw diet

Temperament: Aloof with strangers. Loyal and devoted with his family. Protective and confident.

Colors: German Shepherd coat colors and patterns may include any of the following: black & tan, black & red, black & cream, solid black, solid white, (considered a conformation disqualification), sable (also called agouti or wolf gray, in various colorations), black & silver, liver (rare - conformation fault) and blue (rare - considered a conformation fault). There are now also "Panda Shepherds" which is the result of a recent genetic mutation.

Environment: Can live anywhere you are, with appropriate outdoor exercise. NOT a good outside dog, unless you spend the majority of your waking hours outside. Bred to work in a close one-on-one relationship with their owner. Will develop unwanted behaviors if left to his own devices.

Family: Excellent with families. Require training and socialization. Can be same-sex dog aggressive.

-----
Here is a write-up I did for our local clubs "meet the breeds"

History: April 3, 1899 is considered to be the birthday of The German Shepherd Dog. On that day Max von Stephanitz purchased a herding dog at a dog show. The dog's name was Hektor Linksrhein (later named Horand von Grafrath) and it became a forefather for present German Shepherd Dogs and the first registered GSDs. . There were a lot of different shepherd dogs in Germany, but there was not any recognized breed of these dogs The German Shepherd Dog (or GSD) is a Jack of All trades; as there was less need for a herding dog, von Stephanitz made sure his dog would always have a job. GSDs are Guide Dogs, herding dogs, police dogs, Search & Rescue, War Dogs, and the job he is best at, Man's best friend.

Is the German Shepherd the right dog for me?

The Good: Your German Shepherd Dog will be your best friend; he is devoted and lives to please. Excellent watchdog. The ultimate family dog. Easy to train. Great exercise partner. Bred to work closely with people.

The Bad: Hair!! Hair, hair everywhere! One of the breed's nicknames is the “German Shedder”.
A job is a necessity for this breed. Velcro Dog is another nickname. They live to be with their family and don't handle being outside alone.

The Ugly: Rampant over-breeding has left the GSD with a number of health problems. Hip Dysplasia, Degenerative Myelopathy, Megaesophaous, and Pannus are just a few. Bloat is also a potential problem. A good breeder will honestly discuss any diseases in their dogs' pedigree and what they have done to help eliminate the problem.

What a German Shepherd IS NOT:
not a backyard dog
not a kennel dog
not low energy
not highly sociable with strangers
not able to thrive without training
not able to thrive with long hours alone
not able to thrive when neglected
not submissive to other dogs

What a German Shepherd IS:
family dog
companion
working dog
territorial
protective
loyal
a dog who needs to be involved in your life
a dog who thrives with something "to do"
sociable with children
energetic

94658_eastercontest1.jpg

94658_dsc_0091.jpg

94658_dsc_0006.jpg

Name: Phoebe
Breed: Standard Poodle
Origin: Germany
Diet: Purina dog food
Temperament: Loves everyone! Does great with all animals (except other dogs on the street) Only chases cats when they run.
roll.png
When she barks she sounds like she's gonna kill you.
Constantly wants to be pet. We live on three unfenced acres, and she's never run away. Someone explained her like this: An old stubborn country gal. :]
Colors: solid Black
Environment: Lives inside with us but gets to go outside whenever she wants.
91615_035.jpg

91615_019.jpg

Last edited:
very cute standard, we have 3 unfenced acres too and mine never leaves except when someone walks by and then 1 of mine tries to go home with them lol mine also eats chicken food with the chickens, some day i'm gonna get a standard to show
Quote:

well i have minis that i rescued, one was black but turned grey, like a seal color, someone said he's probably a blue, my other is black and white. i have one of mine on here for miniature poodle, here's my other boy,
105737_img_4719.jpg
he's like 2 years old, his name is Kenny, my other is Chesney, Kenny came from GA from a puppy mill that got seized, Chesney was about to get put down when i pulled him
Quote:

Very cool! Same here, she only leaves when someone walks down our road, which isn't often. What colors are yours?

Quote:
Very cool! Same here, she only leaves when someone walks down our road, which isn't often. What colors are yours?

Chesney is really cute! Good for you for saving them!

Back
Top Bottom