Other Pets & Livestock Database

We have a dog: Boston Terrier 12 yrs young, a hedgehog 1 yr old, 2 elderly gerbils, and Christmas brought a Betta to our family. 8 chickens
Our house is in the county on a .38 lot.
We are in a golf club neighborhood that is no longer deed restricted. Some of our neighbor animals include cows, pigs, goats, camels, horses, lions, tigers, bears (oh my!) Hard to believe that pigs, goats, chickens live in a golfing community I am pleased that the City of Sarasota has recently passed law to allow backyard chickens.

Name: Scottish Terrier
Experience Needed: Med- high lvl of experience with dogs or training dogs.
Diet: A good quality dog food and training treats are all that is needed. Some dogs may require a coat/skin supplement- salmon oil works well.
Temperament: Sweet, but often stubborn dogs. They can be difficult to train because of their stubborness. They often are very predatorial and will take off after animals and try to kill them. ( Mine killed a weasel ). Good training and habits should be started as soon as you get a puppy. Scotties can be nippy, but mine never have been because I discouraged it from the beginning.
Colors: Brindles, wheatens, blacks... there are many variations within these colors.
Environment: Not a city or apartment dog, they can be very energetic. I suggest a fenced yard for them to run in.
Family: Although they are a good family dog, I would not suggest families with any children under 8 get one because if the children grab/pull on the dog it may learn to bite.
Additional Notes: Think carefully about whether or not you can train and accomodate a scotty before you get one. They are wonderful dogs, but definately not for everyone.
Kevin, we should compile all the profiles onto the first two pages.....

Last edited:
Great Profile Quinn4321:thumbsup . I can do that if that's what everyone would like

Quote:
Thank you
smile.png
I was jusst thinking that might make it much easier for people to find whatever they are looking for.

...I just updated my Syrian Hamster profile with a few more pics of my other [new] hamsters
smile.png

Name: Yorkshire Terrier
Experience Needed: Not very much, must know basics of dog owning.
Origin: They were developed in Yorkshire, England around the 1900's. Originally used to hunt rats and other small vermin.
Diet: Dog Food.
Temperament: Yorkies are very good around small children. They can live practically anywhere small, big, cold, and warm. Should supervise yorkies around other pets and small/big dogs.
Colors: Tan/Black, Gold/Black, Tan/Blue, and Gold/Blue.
Environment: Can live anywhere.
Family: Very Good with small children.

Additional Notes:
Yorkshire terriers can be used for a variety of events, such as, Agility, Obedience, Conformation, Earthdog trials, Flyball, and Canine Good Citezen.
Yorkies MUST have a coat on if it is under 40F.
Even though they are smaller dogs PLEASE treat them as a bigger dog! They want to be trained!
Must be groomed at least every other day.
Yorkies are also GREAT watchdogs! =D

68534_sassy.jpg

yorkshire-terrier.jpg

york.jpg

100928.jpg

Last edited:
Name: Honeybees
Experience Needed: None, although joining a Beekeepers Club or finding an experience mentor is a very good idea when starting a hive. Lacking that, do plenty of research.
Diet: When starting up a hive, you will need to provide them with sugar water.
Temperament: Depending on the strain of bees, they may be gentle or aggressive. Do your research and get a strain that is docile and productive. I started off with a Russian Queen and Italian Worker Bees, so mine are pretty hardy against disease but still quite calm.
Colors: N/A
Environment: You should have a relatively quiet area where you can place the bee hive and there isn't a lot of traffic there. The hive should get plenty of mornin sun and be protected from the wind.
Family: I wouldn't recommend keeping bees if you have young children who might bump into the hive and agitate the bees.
Additional Notes:
Honey that you get from your own hive is a great antidote for allergies if you are allergic to pollen because the honey is made from nectar and pollen from the flowers in your area.

Back
Top Bottom