other things I'm working on

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by western edge, Jan 19, 2011.

1. western edge

western edge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Edge of the Bakken
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

maybe this should be on BYG. Oh well. This keeps my mind on springtime. Testing the germination of the seeds saved from my heirloom garden. Pointsett 76 and Muncher cucs, Black Krim, Red Brandywine and Green Zebra tomatoes and Buttercrunch lettice. Also working on: Golden Bantum sweet corn, Country Gentilman corn, Contender bush beans, Kentuky Wonder yellow pole beans, Little Marvel peas, Moon n Stars and Sugerbaby melons, Green Zucchini , Nantes and Danver carrots, Copenhagen Market cabbage, Bullsblood and Chioggia beets, Jupiter green peppers and strawberry, rubarb and horseradish plants and roots.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  2. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I thought they were sprouts and you were gonna eat them! [​IMG]

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I've been looking for black krim tomatoes but nobody around here sells them.

4. western edge

Apr 5, 2010
    Edge of the Bakken
    They would be good to eat for people or poultry I'm sure. My hens would devour them.

5. western edge

Apr 5, 2010
    Edge of the Bakken
    Quote:The heirloom plants are kinda hard to find at the nurseries. People want the hybrid plants is what one nursery owner told me. Easier to grow, more prolific and disease resistant. Although you can order seeds and start them yourself, I started looking too late last season and ended up finding a single ( overgrown ) plant and payed 11 dollars for it. I must have wanted it bad. Turned out real good. lots of delicious tomatoes and many seeds saved. Germination is VERY good. Maybe I could send you some or trade for seeds you may have saved. Hey Mandy do you still raise the RIW's? I ordered some hatching eggs from you last season. Between the post office (crushed box) and an inexperienced hatcher, it turned out bad. My bad.

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

No I don't have them anymore. I am getting out of the poultry/livestock business and they were the first to sell.

7. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    mandy you can find black krim in the burpee catalog page 80. it is a pack of 4 heirlooms and one is black krim

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by