Our 1st Coop

ARnCA

Hatching
12 Years
Jun 26, 2007
SE PA
My neighbor gave us an old playhouse that his children outgrew. We decided to use it as our new coop when our babies decided to escape their brooder. It stood 5 ft above the ground. We cut the bottom off so now it os only one foot off the ground. We covered the openings with plywood and use siding to protect the wood. Most of what we used, we had lying around the house. We left an opening for the chickens to get into the coop and put on a door for us. We started painting the outside wood brown and the inside will be purple. We are still in construction but we hope to have it finish by this weekend, before the little guys decide to get in bed with us at night. Here are some pics of what we have done so far and also one of the nestboxes we are buliding. If you have any suggestions, please let us know. Thank you!

The beginning (front)
100_0453.jpg

side view
100_0456.jpg

sided side view
100_0463.jpg

our new door and nestbox area
100_0477.jpg

nestbox
100_0480.jpg

side with chichen entrance
100_0476.jpg

Quote:
same here.

I like the rustic look too. Ours was osb board or whatever it is called my hunny is not here to ask. So that is why I painted ours. But if we had wood like that and especially given to us I would have not painted. Sure would have saved me on sweating too. I live in La. and it is in the upper 90"s with a heat index in the 100's when it has not rained for awhile.
is that a christmas tree in a couple of pics? looks nice.

It is a Christmas tree we just don't know what kind of pine tree it is. We liked the rustic look too but it was too drafty and the wood was messed up in some spots. The siding blends in with the main house. We tried to work on it today but mother nature decided we couldn't. Maybe she will stop raining for us tomorrow so we can work on it. Question about the nestboxes....they are 16 x 16. Is that big enough for the chickens?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom