1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our 1st Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ARnCA, Jun 27, 2007.

1. ARnCA

ARnCA New Egg

Jun 26, 2007
    SE PA
    My neighbor gave us an old playhouse that his children outgrew. We decided to use it as our new coop when our babies decided to escape their brooder. It stood 5 ft above the ground. We cut the bottom off so now it os only one foot off the ground. We covered the openings with plywood and use siding to protect the wood. Most of what we used, we had lying around the house. We left an opening for the chickens to get into the coop and put on a door for us. We started painting the outside wood brown and the inside will be purple. We are still in construction but we hope to have it finish by this weekend, before the little guys decide to get in bed with us at night. Here are some pics of what we have done so far and also one of the nestboxes we are buliding. If you have any suggestions, please let us know. Thank you!

The beginning (front)
    [​IMG]

side view
    [​IMG]

sided side view
    [​IMG]

our new door and nestbox area
    [​IMG]

nestbox
    [​IMG]

side with chichen entrance
    [​IMG]

2. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks really great so far -great use of recycling! [​IMG]

3. ChicksinBoise

ChicksinBoise Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    Wow, nice snag! I really liked the weathered and rustic look before it was sided.

4. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Looking good [​IMG]

5. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    Quote:same here.

6. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Quote:same here.

I like the rustic look too. Ours was osb board or whatever it is called my hunny is not here to ask. So that is why I painted ours. But if we had wood like that and especially given to us I would have not painted. Sure would have saved me on sweating too. I live in La. and it is in the upper 90"s with a heat index in the 100's when it has not rained for awhile.
    is that a christmas tree in a couple of pics? looks nice.

7. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    i trimed mine in cedar and pine (that looks like cedar lol) ohh..... is that good for the chickens im not using the shavings or anything [​IMG]

8. ARnCA

ARnCA New Egg

Jun 26, 2007
    SE PA
    It is a Christmas tree we just don't know what kind of pine tree it is. We liked the rustic look too but it was too drafty and the wood was messed up in some spots. The siding blends in with the main house. We tried to work on it today but mother nature decided we couldn't. Maybe she will stop raining for us tomorrow so we can work on it. Question about the nestboxes....they are 16 x 16. Is that big enough for the chickens?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by