Our 4 little Black Australorp winter babies

MarlaMac

Songster
Aug 14, 2022
Central Texas
Hatched Sunday, 12/5 (1) and Monday, 12/6 (3). Momma is doing a great job. Babies are precious. Praying all are girls. :D If not, I will have to try and give them away on Craigslist. Flock too small for 2 roosters.

Currently 8 girls; hoping this makes 12. Still want to add blues, but will have to wait until we expand the coop (again). Planning an open air coop extension for our hot summers with doors that can be folded down for winter.

This is the second time this girl has gone broody and she is just coming up on 1 year old.

Rooster Cogburn helping teach them to eat. HAHAHA

Attachments

• PXL_20221206_212530539_exported_0.jpg
    PXL_20221206_212530539_exported_0.jpg
    457 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20221206_212421505.jpg
    PXL_20221206_212421505.jpg
    651.5 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20221205_182902541.jpg
    PXL_20221205_182902541.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 8
Hope you get pullets and Cogburn is definitely a keeper. Interestingly, regarding chicks that hatch in colder weather and based on my experiences, I tend to get more pullets than cockerels on average. As recent examples, had five mixed bantam OEGB pullets and one cockerel hatch from one setting hen last year on Christmas Day. And this year in late October had seven mixed bantam OEGB pullets and two cockerels to hatch from three different hens. That's 12 out of 15 being pullets which is 80%. And these birds have been as hardy as any I have ever had.

Hatched Sunday, 12/5 (1) and Monday, 12/6 (3). Momma is doing a great job. Babies are precious. Praying all are girls. :D If not, I will have to try and give them away on Craigslist. Flock too small for 2 roosters.

Currently 8 girls; hoping this makes 12. Still want to add blues, but will have to wait until we expand the coop (again). Planning an open air coop extension for our hot summers with doors that can be folded down for winter.

This is the second time this girl has gone broody and she is just coming up on 1 year old.

Rooster Cogburn helping teach them to eat. HAHAHA
Congratulations! I love austrolorps and plan on getting a blue one.

Congratulations! I love austrolorps and plan on getting a blue one.
I only have Australorps. I want blues badly. Should have gotten them to start with, but went with my first pick. Plan on adding a couple this spring and being able to hatch some blues out. Will keep a cockerel if I get one to replace Cogburn with when the time comes. :)

I only have Australorps. I want blues badly. Should have gotten them to start with, but went with my first pick. Plan on adding a couple this spring and being able to hatch some blues out. Will keep a cockerel if I get one to replace Cogburn with when the time comes. :)
I have one austrolorp, she is a sweetheart when she wants to be other times she is stuck up but she has a personality. She is one of the 3 chickens i can pick up, at first she didnt like me and now i can pick her up everytime i go into the run. And she doest think i always have food unlike the other 4.

Back
Top Bottom