Our Babies Died a Terrible Death

I'd be adding an electric fence before you and your neighbor fall out over the chickens because it'll eventually show up without her.they always do.
Guess what? The dog owner had me arrested for animal cruelty. Now I have to hire an attorney to fight for my rights. Can you believe this?
Saluda Chickens

Guess what? The dog owner had me arrested for animal cruelty. Now I have to hire an attorney to fight for my rights. Can you believe this?
Saluda Chickens
I keep trying to find words to reply to this, but cant think of any. Only one question: Where do you reside, where its ok for another to come on your property and destroy it, & you have no right to defend yourself? (Yes i completely understand your chickens meant much more than mere "property" to you.). I'm aghast, & very sorry.

I keep trying to find words to reply to this, but cant think of any. Only one question: Where do you reside, where its ok for another to come on your property and destroy it, & you have no right to defend yourself? (Yes i completely understand your chickens meant much more than mere "property" to you.). I'm aghast, & very sorry.
Thanks for your comments. I live in Saluda county, South Carolina. Most of my neighbors cannot believe this is happening. This is so unnecessary and wrong. The dog was a nuisance in the community and some of the older folks are afraid to come out when this dog was around. He was large and aggressive.

Thanks for your comments. I live in Saluda county, South Carolina. Most of my neighbors cannot believe this is happening. This is so unnecessary and wrong. The dog was a nuisance in the community and some of the older folks are afraid to come out when this dog was around. He was large and aggressive.
I cant believe it either. Were the "older folks" afraid of the dog because the dog roamed off-leash? Hopefully your neighbors will rally around you and you can quickly get the charges dropped without too much expense. And i also hope you dont give up on having chickens. Your loss was tragic, & this pours salt on the wound.

Generally, it’s legal to do anything necessary to stop a dog or predator (not those that are Federally protected) If "caught in the act" of attacking person(s) or livestock in "most" places they can be killed However if you killed it after you found out about it that can be a whole different ballgame.The laws spell everything out to the letter and any deviation from that can make anything a crime. Not good!

I would be tempted to do the same if a dog killed mine!I'm doing everything in my power to keep dogs out so it won't happen to me! Dogs are very destructive unsupervised.I am so sorry for your loss.I would start a GoFundMe account for legal defense and show pictures of my chickens.If 100 people donated 10 bucks it would help a lot!

I would be tempted to do the same if a dog killed mine!I'm doing everything in my power to keep dogs out so it won't happen to me! Dogs are very destructive unsupervised.I am so sorry for your loss.I would start a GoFundMe account for legal defense and show pictures of my chickens.If 100 people donated 10 bucks it would help a lot!
Thank you. I had not thought of this.

I cannot believe the charge would hold. SC codes only specifically state shooting in protection of sheep. My county Spartanburg has codes shooting in protection of all livestock. I'm not finding that in Saluda codes, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right spot. It would likely fall under common law. But you can't hunt down and shoot a fleeing animal. It has to be in the act. Did you get lots of pictures?

Back
Top Bottom