Our Babies Died a Terrible Death

I’m curious about the whole arrest thing. If it’s was as described I’m thinking a wrongful arrest suit could be in order.
I don’t think I would kill someone’s pet for the first offense but then again I might if it was a complete loss. I would however recommend contacting the authorities first if you had to shoot someone else’s animal in protection of yours. Probably before contacting said owners of that animal. To much documentation is better than not enough.

Sorry for you situation I’m no lawyer but I would consider looking into counter legal actions. If you shot the dog on your property while it was attacking your livestock.

If I catch one in the act tie his butt up and hold him indefinitely until paid for any damages. If he doesn't have county tags get his tags and vaccinations updated and charge for that too. Charge them for his food and care too.Maybe next time they won't allow it to run loose.An electric fence is your best friend if you have chickens and neighbors that won't keep their dogs up.
i'd Literally tie his butt up. Nobody. NOBODY messes with my chickens! i used to have a puppy a few houses away (she's not my puppy, just clarifying.) and that puppy would come out and pull feathers from my birds! i was be afraid of hurting the puppy, but if it meant my chickens, i would. that dumb dog kept coming back, and i kept chasing it off. until i got baby chicks, and that puppy came over, i had NONE OF IT. in other words, i kicked the darn thing's butt

i probably sound very cruel, but i am not. i promise. i love animals,and i wouldn't hurt one unless it threatened mine.

Guess what? The dog owner had me arrested for animal cruelty. Now I have to hire an attorney to fight for my rights. Can you believe this?
Saluda Chickens
Hard to believe you were arrested for shooting a dog that killed your chickens.This story should terrify people who would do the same to defend their chickens .I do hope you are okay! God bless!

Last edited:
i'd Literally tie his butt up. Nobody. NOBODY messes with my chickens! i used to have a puppy a few houses away (she's not my puppy, just clarifying.) and that puppy would come out and pull feathers from my birds! i was be afraid of hurting the puppy, but if it meant my chickens, i would. that dumb dog kept coming back, and i kept chasing it off. until i got baby chicks, and that puppy came over, i had NONE OF IT. in other words, i kicked the darn thing's butt

i probably sound very cruel, but i am not. i promise. i love animals,and i wouldn't hurt one unless it threatened mine.
You did good! However if it had been me, dog or puppy, he'd been running home with salt rock in his butt!

Hard to believe you were arrested for shooting a dog that killed your chickens.This story should terrify people who would do the same to defend their chickens .I do hope you are okay! God bless!
In many states you can not shoot a dog unless it is an imminent threat at the time that you shot it. You can shoot if it's in the act of harming your livestock, but not for simply trespassing on your property and not after the deed is done as it's no longer a threat at that time. It's a very fine distinction, so best to keep that in mind when recounting your story to any authorities.

In many states you can not shoot a dog unless it is an imminent threat at the time that you shot it. You can shoot if it's in the act of harming your livestock, but not for simply trespassing on your property and not after the deed is done as it's no longer a threat at that time. It's a very fine distinction, so best to keep that in mind when recounting your story to any authorities.
Fortunately, Texas is not one of them states. Plus, in most areas here, we have Leash Law, so if a dog is on your property, well, let's put it this way, the law has already been broken, by the owner...

Back
Top Bottom