Our Babies Died a Terrible Death

Guess what? The dog owner had me arrested for animal cruelty. Now I have to hire an attorney to fight for my rights. Can you believe this?
Saluda Chickens
I know I'm a little late to this part of the issue, but it certainly seems as if you have some grounds for criminal warrants against the dog owner, namely the verbal threats from your neighbor in which you and your wife were threatened, the threat from the dog before it was neutralized, and the lack of their control of their animal in general. With the threats made, a Protection Order against the aggressor will make their life hell for some time too...

You may also have grounds for a civil claim for damages. Their animal was not properly restrained and you suffered losses as a result.

Hard to believe you were arrested for shooting a dog that killed your chickens.This story should terrify people who would do the same to defend their chickens .I do hope you are okay! God bless!

We are well-armed on our property, but have never considered shooting a neighbor's pet, and we have no less than ten (10) dogs immediately around among five other properties. We're in the city limits too, so we're not rural by any stretch.

With that said, my boyfriend has spoken a few times about what he might do if one of these dogs (they're all very aggressive with no obedience training whatsoever) ever came across one of the fences. It's not a pretty picture he paints, but our firearms have never come into the discussion. That could change I suppose in the future.

Last, we've had birds cross a fence going in the other direction at least 3 times. Fortunately, he was able to scale the fence fast enough to rescue at least two of the birds before serious damage was done, but we did lose one. In these cases, it was on us, but eventually one of these dogs WILL come over the fence. I am not looking forward to that day.................

We are well-armed on our property, but have never considered shooting a neighbor's pet, and we have no less than ten (10) dogs immediately around among five other properties. We're in the city limits too, so we're not rural by any stretch.

With that said, my boyfriend has spoken a few times about what he might do if one of these dogs (they're all very aggressive with no obedience training whatsoever) ever came across one of the fences. It's not a pretty picture he paints, but our firearms have never come into the discussion. That could change I suppose in the future.

Last, we've had birds cross a fence going in the other direction at least 3 times. Fortunately, he was able to scale the fence fast enough to rescue at least two of the birds before serious damage was done, but we did lose one. In these cases, it was on us, but eventually one of these dogs WILL come over the fence. I am not looking forward to that day.................
Is it possible to run barbed wire across the top of your fence, and around it where they might dig?

Is it possible to run barbed wire across the top of your fence, and around it where they might dig?

It's really not necessary. The fences are mostly 6' tall or higher, but there is one stretch of 4' fence. Fortunately, the less aggressive dog of the 10 dogs lives on the other side of the 4' section.

Our birds went over a 6' section into a yard with 5 dogs, so again, that was on us. No barbed wire would have helped....

It's really not necessary. The fences are mostly 6' tall or higher, but there is one stretch of 4' fence. Fortunately, the less aggressive dog of the 10 dogs lives on the other side of the 4' section.

Our birds went over a 6' section into a yard with 5 dogs, so again, that was on us. No barbed wire would have helped....
Oh, I was thinking about barbed wire to keep the dogs out. Chickens could get pretty torn up. :( You wouldn't want that.

I'm so sorry for your loss. People just don't understand that we love our chickens.
that's what i don't understand. iv'e never let someone tell me "they only cost 7 bucks"
but would they say that about a dog? or a cat? to me, chickens should be treated equally among other pets. iv'e seen people give up on sick or injured birds, because "they only cost 7 bucks"

i can't do anything about it, but i feel like i should.

that's what i don't understand. iv'e never let someone tell me "they only cost 7 bucks"
but would they say that about a dog? or a cat? to me, chickens should be treated equally among other pets. iv'e seen people give up on sick or injured birds, because "they only cost 7 bucks"

i can't do anything about it, but i feel like i should.
If your chickens were killed by his dog on his property, I would say it was your fault since you are responsible if your chickens leave your property and could say nothing or act in any ill way toward his animal. Since his dog is his responsibility and killed your livestock and scared you (jumped on your wife you said? Or was that another poster?) you have every right to protect yourself and your property.

Back
Top Bottom