Our babies had babies!

Bonzeye

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2022
OUR BABIES HAD THEIR BABIES!!!

Last year we got one to hatch, but it unfortunately didn’t make it. Our two broody runner duck mamas share a coop/run with six juvenile chickens, one adult chicken, and a Drake. I want to do whatever it takes to help these babies grow up happy and healthy.

Any advice???? Should we separate the moms and babies from the rest of the flock? Would it be better to just take the babies and put them in a brooder? I’ve read so much mixed info I don’t know where to go from here.

They have 1 more egg in their nest. I know forsure it is a day or a few behind the ones that hatched today.

Attachments

• 4869DD0B-B773-46B3-B31B-5FD31A30DBBC.jpeg
    4869DD0B-B773-46B3-B31B-5FD31A30DBBC.jpeg
    459.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 9EFF3886-171A-40E3-AE08-D350B7796E59.jpeg
    9EFF3886-171A-40E3-AE08-D350B7796E59.jpeg
    517 KB · Views: 1
Awww, what sweet looking babies!
I let my Magpie sit on the rest of her eggs until she decided to leave them, as the ducklings don't need food for a few days after hatching, then put the remaining eggs in the incubator.
We had one more hatch that way, but unfortunately the temperature went sky high and messed up the other eggs so the babies that hadn't hatched didn't make it (no a/c in the house).
Keep an eye on the mamas and if they leave the nest before the last egg hatches, put it in the incubator would be my novice advice.

Can you separate the mamas [they are cute!] and their babies [more cuteness] from the others in the run and coop until the ducklings are 8 weeks old? Mamas might rejoin the flock before 8 weeks, but I wouldn't mix the ducklings until then.

I hope the last in eggshell duckling makes it, too!

Can you separate the mamas [they are cute!] and their babies [more cuteness] from the others in the run and coop until the ducklings are 8 weeks old? Mamas might rejoin the flock before 8 weeks, but I wouldn't mix the ducklings until then.

I hope the last in eggshell duckling makes it, too!
Unfortunately we tried to move the whole nest to a safer place and the mommas wouldn’t sit back on the babies so they are now in the brooder.

They went right back to the nesting spot so we put the egg back under them with the hopes that it hatches too.

Such drama!

Back
Top Bottom