Our Beautiful Goose Jeanne Can't Walk :(

Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 26, 2007
Fair Oaks, California
i found Jeanne, our oldest white Sebastopol goose, in a corner of their sleeping pen this morning, between the water bucket and wall, unable to walk. She's only a year old, but has had a limp since last October. It looks like it involves the ankle. She will hold it out and not bend it at intervals as she's walking.

She's been in to the vet three times. Our vet can't find any breaks and has prescribed Vitamin C, and metacam for the pain and any possible inflammation. Sometimes her limp gets worse, sometimes it gets a little better. i've noticed lately she has been spending more time on the ground, although still does get around the yard and likes to spend time in the pool. She eats and drinks, and i had been thinking i need to take her back in to keep exploring what is wrong and try some alternatives.

Anyhow, we have an appointment this morning at 11:30. If anyone has any suggestions on what might help her, i would really appreciate it. The vet that has been treating her is out today. And although the one i'm seeing today has worked on my ducks before, i'm not sure how familiar he is with treating geese. My poor girl, i just hate to see her in pain.

Is there a possibility of bumble foot? I know it sounds silly, but if it wasn't looked for previously might be worth doing so now to rule out. Good luck with the Bet visit today.

The bottom of her foot looks fine, no obvious issues. Our vet has checked that on each visit, and i keep checking that, hoping to find an answer. It looks like it's the ankle, the way she holds the foot out. i suspect we will be doing xrays and blood work today. My other vet said she didn't feel any breaks in the bones of the ankle or leg. i would think a sprain would have healed in 7 months, but maybe not if she keeps walking on it.

The bottom of her foot looks fine, no obvious issues. Our vet has checked that on each visit, and i keep checking that, hoping to find an answer. It looks like it's the ankle, the way she holds the foot out. i suspect we will be doing xrays and blood work today. My other vet said she didn't feel any breaks in the bones of the ankle or leg. i would think a sprain would have healed in 7 months, but maybe not if she keeps walking on it.
Maybe having someone else take a look might be a good thing, different perspective. I hope they can figure it out and she can get over what ever it is.
fl.gif

We're back from the vet. They took a lot of xrays and could see no obvious breaks or fractures. Muscle mass on the left side is smaller than the right. The vet said it looked like maybe the bone on the left towards the upper part of that leg is twisted outward. Foot and ankle is fine, she didn't flinch at all when he felt all over that area. They had two vets look at the xrays, then my regular vet will see them Monday. In the meantime, we're going to be doing cage rest and metacam. The other leg is fine as she kicked me good when i was putting her back in the hutch at home. i am hoping that resting that leg will help. i don't know what they can do for a goose who can't use one leg.

Enchanted, I hope she recovers with supportive care. Is your vet avian certified?
i'm not sure if she is avian certified, but she has a lot of experience with waterfowl. She has chickens and turkeys and swans herself. Plus, she does accupunture and uses chinese herbs. So i'm anxious to talk to her next week when she gets back into the office.

I have a gimpy gosling that was hatched last weekend with deformed ankles/feet. She had her first dvm visit (20 years exp. avian certified) on Monday. So far, the news from my dvm is positive, but I am sure she will have regular follow up visits to monitor her carefully as she grows up. My dvm told me once full size, if she has problems, they can make her custom shoes and worst case scenario they could amputate and replace with prosthetic limbs. I was encouraged at the range of options out there.

Fingers crossed your regular dvm can also come up with a range of treatment options. I will be following closely and hoping for the best for your girl!

I have a gimpy gosling that was hatched last weekend with deformed ankles/feet. She had her first dvm visit (20 years exp. avian certified) on Monday. So far, the news from my dvm is positive, but I am sure she will have regular follow up visits to monitor her carefully as she grows up. My dvm told me once full size, if she has problems, they can make her custom shoes and worst case scenario they could amputate and replace with prosthetic limbs. I was encouraged at the range of options out there.

Fingers crossed your regular dvm can also come up with a range of treatment options. I will be following closely and hoping for the best for your girl!
Wow, your vet sounds great! Very good to hear there are options for Jeanne if she can't regain her ability to walk. She still can't stand, but seemed to really enjoy the bath yesterday, so will be doing that each day. She can move that left leg, as i saw her paddling a bit in the tub. But it feels very weak. i will talk to my regular vet tomorrow. She's so good and i know she will be able to help. Another vet from that office, who left a while back, made a wheelchair for her rooster. i guess if worse comes to worse, that's an option.

Maybe ask your vet about putting her in a sling? When my dvm was running through the list (as she ruled out doing each one), she mentioned something about a sling, but that she used them on full sized birds.

Back
Top Bottom