Our BUFF ORPINGTON rooster and our CORNISH CROSS hybrid EGGS have HATCHED

Sep 5, 2017
We cross-bred our BUFF ORPINGTON (B.O.) rooster to our 8 month old CORNISH CROSS (C.C.) hens and today, OUR FIRST CHICK HATCHED! My online research said these birds would live long enough to lay eggs! And they DID! Now here in New Orleans, I doubt they live through our *brutal* HOT summer w/all that weight they are carrying. So we're trying to hatch every egg we get till they pass on. We are thinking of selling some of the fertilized eggs, $36 for a doz. (+2 ext. to help w/the hatch rate) and $16 for U.S. shipping. We also have RIR hens and a rooster. So to compare the grow rate and weight of our new "Cornish-Orps," we put in a RIR egg in the incubator w/the C.O. eggs on 3/12/18. So on 3/30/18, they will be moved to the rotating incubator to the still-hatch incubator. A real treat would be to find another backyard breeder who has a C.C. hybrid to breed w/my hybrid C.O. to see if the next generation would mate "true," wherein their hybrid characteristics would breed to a new/next generation. I've been told that since the C.C. is a hybrid already, there is no guarantee what each bird will look like or what the next generation will carry down.... etc...

Attachments

• Cornish-Orp1.jpg
    Cornish-Orp1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Cornish-Orp2.jpg
    Cornish-Orp2.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Cornish-Orp3.jpg
    Cornish-Orp3.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 25
We cross-bred our BUFF ORPINGTON (B.O.) rooster to our 8 month old CORNISH CROSS (C.C.) hens and today, OUR FIRST CHICK HATCHED! My online research said these birds would live long enough to lay eggs! And they DID! Now here in New Orleans, I doubt they live through our *brutal* HOT summer w/all that weight they are carrying. So we're trying to hatch every egg we get till they pass on. We are thinking of selling some of the fertilized eggs, $36 for a doz. (+2 ext. to help w/the hatch rate) and $16 for U.S. shipping. We also have RIR hens and a rooster. So to compare the grow rate and weight of our new "Cornish-Orps," we put in a RIR egg in the incubator w/the C.O. eggs on 3/12/18. So on 3/30/18, they will be moved to the rotating incubator to the still-hatch incubator. A real treat would be to find another backyard breeder who has a C.C. hybrid to breed w/my hybrid C.O. to see if the next generation would mate "true," wherein their hybrid characteristics would breed to a new/next generation. I've been told that since the C.C. is a hybrid already, there is no guarantee what each bird will look like or what the next generation will carry down.... etc...
Do you have any recent pictures? How are they doing?

Back
Top Bottom