1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our Call Ducks nesting in October!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CallDucks4Life, Oct 8, 2013.

1. CallDucks4Life

CallDucks4Life New Egg

Jun 6, 2013
    Washougal,WA
    Hi there, we must have very happy calls cause we have 2 hens that are nesting and I just put eggs in the incubator.
    They start laying in January so some times we have babies that hatch out on Valentines Day.
    Anyone having the same going on or is it our crazy calls? They have about 3 nest each a year.

2. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Thats very exciting!
    Mine laid and went broody in May and I've read they are typically seasonal. So thats awesome if you hatch babies in the off season!

My American Buff geese just started laying too. Normally they are spring time layers so I am hoping the eggs are fertile and she will sit on them!

1 person likes this.
  3. CallDucks4Life

CallDucks4Life New Egg

Jun 6, 2013
    Washougal,WA
    Thanks for the input :)
    I had someone buy one of our babies a few years ago just because they had a high hatch rate. They're pretty go with hatching them out as well. Our little calls were laying eggs at fair and the shows this past few weeks. I first thought someone was playing a trick on us cause the she was hatched this past Easter. but she's still laying and now 2 other hens are as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by