Our chicken just died, can they have heart attacks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dehowery, Feb 5, 2018.

1. dehowery

dehowery Chirping

Feb 13, 2017
    We have a silver Wyandotte that had a pasty butt. So we caught her and had her upset down in my lap with her head laying over my knee not quite touching the floor. We were cleaning her vent and when we finished I brought her back up to let her loose and she was dead. My husband thought she might have passed out but we can't feel or see her breathing. Was she so stressed by this that she had a heart attack and died? Her comb looked red , her vent looked normal other than the build up of chick shit. Any ideas ?

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. WhiteWyan

WhiteWyan Songster

May 17, 2017
    Ulster Park
    It's possible she was already weakened from being pasted up and all. How old?

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They can definitely have heart attacks. I've had 3 roosters die from heart attack over the years.
    However, in your case and a bird with a feces issue, I suspect it was an intestinal infection of some kind or complications related to such.
    The only way to know for sure is to send the bird to your state or nation poultry diagnostic lab for a necropsy and lab work.
    What state are you in?

aart and ButtonquailGirl14 like this.
  4. AmazingRachel

AmazingRachel Songster

Mar 10, 2017
    Westchester, NY
    If you hold them upside down, they go into kind of a trace/go to sleep. I've never heard of it actually being the cause of death.

5. dehowery

dehowery Chirping

Feb 13, 2017
    Thank you I have done that once already with 3 other birds... I would guess that maybe something else was really really wrong because of the feces issue and she just passed away. I was getting ready to worm the flock and noticed her butt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: