Our chicken tasted 'odd'...is this normal?

Your chickens used their legs - those muscles were worked.
It will taste different than a bird that sits at the feeder eating all day.

I bet the color was a little darker than you were used to also.

Yes it was a lot darker. Now I know the gamier taste is normal, I'll probably enjoy it more next time! Which is good as we have another 2 in the freezer... :)

I had this happen to me when I first started processing birds. I had two roosters that were just "stinky". I am pretty sure (for my case) it was due to not chilling the bird in ice water while I was gutting other birds. The water was just cool on the last few and it had taken me too long to get to them and I believe gasses in the bird flavored it some. Since I started using ice water that has never happened and I have had birds in ice water for several hours once when I almost cut off my thumb in the middle of proccessing 15 birds. The show must go on!!! ...just a little slower!
We ate the smelly one anyway... and yes... it could be you getting use to the taste. My "industrial chicken" family doesn't like it... I'm pretty sure it's because they don't know what "pride" tastes like.
yesss.gif

You will get use to it and it will be what you look forward to when you think chicken!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom