Our chicken tasted 'odd'...is this normal?

Southwellski

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 28, 2011
Feltwell, UK
We have just cooked and eaten our first cockerel. This may sound like a REALLY stupid question but whilst the breast tasted liek chicken as I know it, the brown meat smelt and tasted "strange" - maybe gamey, but then I eat game and generally like it. I am not sure if I am over thinking eating our first chick (as he was last August) or whether we did something wrong in the despatching/storing process.
hmm.png
My husband said it smelt and tasted great...

A friend killed our birds for us (there were 3), my husband said it was very quick (break the neck) then we hung them for a few days before dressing them (as advised by UK Poultry Club). I haven't just poisoned my family have I??!?

We always kill, pluck and gut before we put it in the fridge to chill for a few days. I think it is a UK thing to hang with the guts intact. I don't think it is a common practice in the US to hang any animal with the guts stil in it. The guts hold heat and does not let the carcas cool off as quick.

I am sure it won't kill you but I prefer to take them out right after slaughter.

Darin

Back
Top Bottom