Dealing with emotions of a botched kill

Thank you all. This is all good advice. It seems I'm not the only one who has done this. It doesn't make the emotions any easier, but it is comforting to know I'm not alone.

I need to get better for the next time and maybe find a method that better suits my skills and comfort levels. I was thinking, and I may look into the kill cone with PVC cutters method. Beheading does make me feel the most comfortable because I know it's over for the chicken, so maybe this is a way I can do it without having to worry about my swing accuracy - especially with broomstick method likely being out of the question since my husband seems really against it. I do wonder how hard you have to squeeze the cutters though. Maybe I'll buy a pair and practice on some sticks and pieces of PVC.
After my horrible experience butchering for the first time I knew I had to learn. I found someone to show me how to kill and take care of the feathers etc in a more efficient way. I also got a cone. I am just using a sharp knife... they bleed out so fast and it's so gentle. It really is my method to butcher now.

I need to get better for the next time and maybe find a method that better suits my skills and comfort levels....Beheading does make me feel the most comfortable because I know it's over for the chicken

Do you use the axe very much? You might start by practicing with the axe you already have, on things like sticks or cornstalks. They are not exactly like chicken necks, but they can provide good practice in hitting the spot you are aiming at.

If the axe is too heavy for you to comfortably use, you might consider something like a hatchet, machete, or cleaver. Yes, the PVC cutters also sound like a good thing to look into.

But I would definitely consider practicing with the tool you have, on things that are not a live chicken, before you put much effort into other ideas. Sometimes 5 minutes of practice can make it obvious whether to continue practicing or try something else.

There are some game processing knives with replaceable/disposable razor blade cutters. They are shaped like a knife but you know you have a razor blade edge. A bit pricey but I'm eyeing those for Christmas. The regular game processing knife set I got from the sporting goods store just doesn't sharpen as well as I need it to using the enclosed sharpener. Maybe it's just me, but I think they should cut like butter, like my ceramic kitchen knives.

https://www.outdooredge.com/products/razor-pro

Do you use the axe very much? You might start by practicing with the axe you already have, on things like sticks or cornstalks. They are not exactly like chicken necks, but they can provide good practice in hitting the spot you are aiming at.

If the axe is too heavy for you to comfortably use, you might consider something like a hatchet, machete, or cleaver. Yes, the PVC cutters also sound like a good thing to look into.

But I would definitely consider practicing with the tool you have, on things that are not a live chicken, before you put much effort into other ideas. Sometimes 5 minutes of practice can make it obvious whether to continue practicing or try something else.
You know, this is a really good point. I don't use an axe/hatchet much. On occasion I split a piece of wood or two for the fire over the summer, but it's rare and I don't even think I had to do that this past summer at all. Before this kill, I told my husband I needed to take a few light practice swings at the stump to line up my aim. He thought I was joking and was kind of surprised when I was really there practicing my aim, and kind of just told me to hurry up and get it over with because I think he thought I was just messing around. He grew up on a farm in Europe so hatchet work is second nature - not something you need to practice as an adult. Well, clearly I did need the practice lol. Afterward, we both realized that. I think a lot of mistakes were made there and that's why I so appreciate all this advice so I can do better next time.

Whatever method I'm going with, I'm going to practice beforehand.

After my horrible experience butchering for the first time I knew I had to learn. I found someone to show me how to kill and take care of the feathers etc in a more efficient way. I also got a cone. I am just using a sharp knife... they bleed out so fast and it's so gentle. It really is my method to butcher now.
So you feel they don't suffer much with that method?

I have always avoided the cone and knife method because it seems so slow and like they would suffer. But one time someone on BYC made the point of how when you are losing blood quickly, you pass out pretty quick. Also, if you cut that area, you are likely cutting the nerves that would cause major pain. I would know because I had a huge, deep laceration to my neck/face/ear once in a bit of a freak accident - less than an inch from my jugular. It was so deep they had to stitch me on the inside as well, but tbh it didn't hurt much at all. It cut the nerve. It was more difficult dealing with trying not to black out, and the aftermath of losing so much blood. I didn't have feeling in that area for years and still don't totally. So, it makes me wonder about the cone and sharp knife...

In my case they don't suffer. In Germany we are required to knock the birds out before culling. If you are just doing a few birds for yourself you can get away with taking a club and hitting them over the head. It is a law here. They say even if you cut off the head the birds still have a sense of pain. I don't know for sure really.
I also think if your knife is really sharp there is less pain. I use a scalpel and exchange the blade regularly.

In my case they don't suffer. In Germany we are required to knock the birds out before culling. If you are just doing a few birds for yourself you can get away with taking a club and hitting them over the head. It is a law here. They say even if you cut off the head the birds still have a sense of pain. I don't know for sure really.
I also think if your knife is really sharp there is less pain. I use a scalpel and exchange the blade regularly.
Interesting! So you bop them over the head first?

I always wondered about stunning them before the kill. Has anyone tried using an airsoft (palstic bb) pistol to the head to knock them out before the kill? To me it seems like it would have enough force to knock them out but I haven't tried it for fear it would just hurt them.

Yes, that is exactly what I do. I also have a stun "gun"... it's basically a pin that pops into their head. But I think I am lacking the strength to make it go into the head most of the time. And that defeats the purpose.

Back
Top Bottom