Our Chicken was attacked by our dog!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Allisha, May 22, 2016.

1. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Peroxide can help tissue in very low concentrations according to some studies ( http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0049215,) but in concentrations most use, it will impede healing. It shouldn't be used more than once, then diluted, but is helpful in debriding dead tissue.
    Bactine contains a pain killer that may be toxic to chickens (lidocaine,) and should be avoided. Normal Saline is about as safe as you can get for wound care, and a weak betadine solution may help. Betadine, along with Neosporin, and other things can be toxic in large doses for long periods.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    2 people like this.
  2. Allisha

Allisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    For the first flush with Hydrogen peroxide, I did 3/4 that, and then 1/4 water. The second time I did half hydrogen peroxide and half water. I just bought vetericyn.

I was going to buy Duramycin, but I decided against it for the moment. We go back into town in several hours. I have a few questions, though. For puncture wounds, where would I inject it, in her skin? I thought it had to be near the wound. AND how would I go about doing this? Just under the skin? A little deeper? I have some knowledge of injecting antibiotics, but this one is different, AND it is on a chicken. I also found. They also offer Tylan, and a few antibiotics that I spread IN the wound. However, her back is died purple, and now they are a little difficult to see.

Is Duramycin the way to go?

3. Allisha

Mar 2, 2013
    By the way, we CANNOT use penicillin, as I am severely allergic to it, and we will not keep her alone for the rest of her life. So ANY of the cillin's are a no go.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would skip the antibiotics, and just watch for a wound infection. With it open and putting Vetericyn on it, it will most likely be okay. Tylan and tetracyclines are more useful to treat respiratory infections. For wound care amoxicillin and other penicillin derivatives are good for wounds, but because of your sensitivity, I would just avoid those. Many vets, if you have a regular one who is helpful, might call in a prescription if you need one, and they have better and more appropriate drugs than most feed stores sell.

1 person likes this.
  5. Allisha

Mar 2, 2013
    Hmmn... alright. Before I thought about all of this, I put Blue Kote on her, and now I feel like such a dummy! How will I be able to watch for infections with THAT? Ugh. -.- She still does not walk yet, but she can stand, with her butt towards the ground.

She is definitely bruising, too. However, I think she has no internal injuries. She is breathing normally, enjoys her water, but her appetite for food is pretty low at the moment. She will only peck at grass. I think putting that Blu-Kote on her was a mistake. AND I cannot really find her wounds anymore, but they are still there, obviously. Since it will take a long time to wash off, should I just keep applying that every other day? AND, because of this, I have no idea where to put the neosporin.

6. Therese 11

Therese 11 Just Hatched

May 20, 2016
    Siberian husky's are sure hunters. They were used as hunting dogs late back I the 1800's. So that's why. I don't want to say this but once dog is raised without chickens it will mean that thy are not good with them. It would almost be impossible to train this bad habit out of them sorry to say. I hope that your chicken gets better. Therese

7. mikeldb

mikeldb Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2016
    carrollton ga
    bactine is safer than batadine, I've used it for years with no issues, batadine has a lower dose to be toxic than bactine and just about anything in large doses will be toxic for a chicken. ... but whatevs, jmo I've only healed up 20 or so birds in my life not like I have any experience, I've only sewn up birds from head to tail and had them live.... ;)

8. mikeldb

May 17, 2016
    carrollton ga
    At minimum I'd give it a shot of tylan50

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

It's probably a good reason to avoid lidocaine and other -caine drugs, and use other ones instead. IV injection is the greater risk here rather than topical use. Here are a few articles and treads about the use of -caine medicines in chickens:

http://www.ivsajournals.com/pdf_3628_f14489575e73d63501ee820381ad1119.html
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/533953/topical-anesthetic-for-poultry
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/274378/why-no-caine-products-suburan-rural-myth-or-fact

Why Not Local Anesthesia? (from exoticpetvet.com)

A bird requiring surgery will usually receive general anesthesia. There are several reasons for this. Many local anesthetic agents, such as lidocaine (usually erroneously called novocaine by lay people) that can numb an area, are toxic at doses that provide numbness! Lidocaine must be precisely dosed, and even so, the dose necessary to provide local anesthesia is greater than the toxic dose, in most cases (in small birds). It can be used in tame, large birds, if necessary. Another problem with using a local anesthetic agent is because restraining a bird awake is often very stressful. Signs of overdose with lidocaine may include excitement initially, seizures, depression, respiratory arrest, cardiovascular collapse and death.

10. mikeldb

May 17, 2016
    carrollton ga
    I wish people would quit reposting bs stories, all that is referencing to in any actual articles is the injectable "caine" meds topical meds like bactine doesn't have enough in it to be fatal I've used it for years and never had an issue, you might if you sprayed it down their throat..... every article out there that describes "caines" as being fatal saying birds usually receive general anesthesia INSTEAD OF A LOCAL INJECTION.... PLEASE DO SOME REAL RESEARCH ON THIS YOU GUYS ARE NOT SPREADING THE TRUTH.... INJECTIONS OF CAINE MEDS ARE FATAL BUT NOT TOPICAL LIKE BACTINE OTHER WISE THEY WOULD NOT MAKE THINGS LIKE QUICK STOP THAT HAS IT IN THERE FOR BIRDS

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by