Our chickens and their guardians.......

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gickelvolk, Jan 7, 2012.

1. gickelvolk

gickelvolk Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Nebraska
    I thought I'd share a few pictures taken New Years day of our outing in the back yard.... We had high 40s and sunshine....... So it was time to Free-Range the whole yard...... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mrs. grabbed the camera and shot a couple of pics......

Here's our 15 year old Border Collie mix, Winston....... Retired Chicken-Herder, Technical Consultant, & Mama's Boy...... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tess, Our rescued Irish Setter.......... She's in charge of picking over anything the chickens don't eat........ [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and of course it's tiring work keeping up with those chickens at 9 years old.........
    [​IMG]

Here's the Head-Chicken-Sheppard....... Shamus, a 10 year old Border Collie........
    [​IMG]

He loves his chicken flock.... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and they LOVE Graham Crackers....... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Happy New Year--- what a nice family of critters! (both feathered and furred)

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

What nice pictures! [​IMG] Other than the longer ears, your Tess looks so golden retriever-ish. Shamus is gorgeous! It's sure a testament of being a good doggie home when your youngest pooch is 9 yrs. old...

4. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

There is nothing like having a dog that understands it is his job to protect the flock. My Ziggy gets it too!
    [​IMG]

5. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
  6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I enjoyed your story! Can I have some crackers?

7. gickelvolk

gickelvolk Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Nebraska
    Nice "Dogs & Their Chickens" pics!!!!
    [​IMG]

I wonder how many folks have been able to take the time to introduce their dogs to their flock???

It does a dog good to have responsibility, a good job..... and it helps prevent a lot of unsavory critters from getting to the poultry.....

8. BirdWalkFarm

BirdWalkFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

We have three Great Pyrenees . This is Lilly ( is crossed with something besides a Pyr , we think ) in the pics looking rather disgusted at the chickens . They are young and were raised in the garage so they think they can stay on the patio . I think she has just given up . They can make such a mess !

[[​IMG]img][/img]
    [[​IMG]img][/img]

9. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:bwahahahaha That picture made me laugh! It's almost like she is saying "'cmon....drop something....do it! 'cmon! Im starving over here!"

10. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Nice pics. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by