Our chickens are 20 weeks and 18 weeks. We've not seen one egg yet, and I am getting anxious.

KCL217

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2021
Our chickens are free range at 20 and 18 weeks. RIR, NHR, and Barred. We've searched all of their spots, and have not found one egg, or evidence of an egg. They've gotten in and out of nesting boxes, and we have ceramic eggs in their, but nothing. We're using 5 gallon buckets with a cut out on top, and hay. Any ideas. Thank you.

Relax. Chickens aren't alarm clocks much less calendars. Start of Lay is more like a strong suggestion then a narrow group of dates. I usually offer a four-week range as an estimate for an individual breed. My expectation would be that your birds will begin to lay between five and seven months (22 to 30 weeks). There are some hybrids, like the golden comet and some of the other red sex link, who commonly lay between 16th and 20 weeks - about four months. (My Comets were 19 weeks +/-, my "Rainbows" came in 23-25 weeks). If you have not seen eggs by week 28, then I would start getting concerned, as the light levels should be falling in about 3 months time, which can add further delay.

Last edited:
Relax. Chickens aren't alarm clocks much less calendars. Start of Les is more like a strong suggestion then on narrow group of dates. I usually offer a four-week range as an estimate. My expectation would be that your birds begin to lay between five and seven months comma 22 to 30 weeks period I'm sorry there are some hybrids comma like the golden comet and some of the other red sex link who commonly play 16th and 20 weeks comma about four months period if you have not seen eggs by week 28, then I would start getting concerned, as the light levels should be falling in about 3 months time.
Thank you! I will regain my patience, and assume you’re correct. There’s nothing that says the chickens are in any kind of stress or an ordeal preventing them from laying. So wait I shall!

You'll know when it happens because they will start screaming about it, shouting it from the rooftops, and telling everyone they know. Keep an ear out!
and before that, there better than even chances they will run in front of you, then squat.

HATED that, tripping all over the poor girls all the time, carrying 5 gallon buckets of feed, trying to navigate an obstacle course of sprint and squat poultry!

Back
Top Bottom