Our chickie pics.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by phickle, Feb 16, 2014.

1. phickle

phickle Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    near Tyler, TX
    Our tiny flock is growing it seems. Just a few pics to show off our poultry beginnings.

Most of our chicks. They are a/an: buff orp f, barred rock f, ameraucana f, 3 black silkies ?, blue silkie ?, and a partridge silkie ?. 2 silkies are about 5-6 weeks and the other 3 are about 4-5 weeks old. So far we have no idea about sex. The other 3 are from the feed store, and were already sexed. Looking back, we should have bought more than 3, I think.

[​IMG]

We have 5 adult silkies, Mr big brown is the roo, a partridge with what appears to be a cancerous, mutated ugly comb. 2 white hens, a black hen, and a blue/black splash hen. 3 of them are laying, but I don't know which 3. We have over a dozen eggs so far, but these will be the first fresh eggs the family has ever had, and so far no one has pony'd up to be the one to try the first one.
    [​IMG]

Our dominant (extremely) red/freedom ranger rooster. We call him Meanie. He is the only one who crows on a regular basis. By regular I mean he starts at 4:30 am, and continues until about 9:00 pm. I am the only one who doesn't like the sound of the crowing.
    [​IMG]

Our largest ranger roo, by far, coming to see if the camera is food. He is GG-Gentle Giant. Next to him is Little Bit, our only ranger hen, who hasn't laid anything yet. GG is at least half again as big as Meanie, but seems content to get bully'd by him. He has only crowed once that I,ve heard, but it was a much deeper crow, and not as loud.
    [​IMG]
    That's pretty much it for now. When the full-size chicks are old enough they will be integrated into this group to help out our m/f ratio.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    nice !! and fresh eggs are sooo much better then old ones. pretty soon you will be fighting over who gets them first. lol

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Nice flock! Oh I love the sound of a crowing rooster!!! [​IMG]

Thanks for sharing!!

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Nice looking flock! Thanks for sharing.

5. [​IMG] Lovely flock!

6. phickle

Jan 27, 2014
    near Tyler, TX
    Thanks all. Yesterday we sold 2 of our Ranger roos, which brings the full size flocks ratio down to 2 roos and 1 hen, rather than 4 to 1. I've been shopping around locally to find a few more hens of any breed to throw in there too, but around here hens easily bring double or triple what a roo does, or the seller is too far to justify the drive. She may have no choice but to wait until the chicks are old enough for reinforcements. I could always go get more chicks, too! I could integrate the bantams and full sizes, but I don't want to for fear that Meanie would torment the Silkies. Plus the size difference is quite astonishing between the Silkies and GG. It would be the chicken equivalent of my daughter standing next to The Rock!

7. phickle

Jan 27, 2014
    near Tyler, TX
    Well, I ended up buying more chicks. A lot more chicks. I guess I'm a sucker for small, cute, and fuzzy! Except for a couple of silver-laced wyandottes that I pick up Tuesday, I am done with buying chicks. I'm out of brooders, old towels, and patience. OK, maybe not patience- I just love these little gals! If my brooders appear similar to cages, that's because they are rabbit cages that aren't being used for rabbits. I haven't bred rabbits all Fall and Winter, so I'm ate up with unused cages and pens. They seem to work fine for the most part, so that's what I'll use when I can. I put old towels down so the wire won't hurt any feet but I need to find something better. About once a day I find a chick with a talon stuck in the terry cloth. Claw, talon, toenail, whatever it is.

In this pic I have the 5 newest bantams, straight run, (I guess bantams are hard to sex?). The striped one is the only one of two that I think I can identify, and I think it is an English game something or other. The night after this pic was taken, the white solid bantam (middle row, right) wiggled between the wires of the cage and fell to the floor. I don't know if it was the fall or the Dachshund, but he didn't make it. I let myself believe that he was dead when Sammy (Dachshund) found him. The blue thing on the far left is feather-footed and four toed, which makes me think it may be a Cochin. The rest are up in the air. Just for giggles, I tried to vent sex- all 5 are apparently made of poop and female, except I'm a pessimist, so I'm wrong 5 times in a row, and they're male. LOL.
    [​IMG]

As an aside, to prove my point about Meanie (roo, above post) it is now 2254 hours, pitch black outside, and that darned rooster is still crowing.

This pic has one of my black sex-links, an Ideal 236, a buff Minorca, and a durn Silkie butt that just wouldn't move. LOL. All female.

[​IMG]

Below is a marginally better shot of the two black sex-links, the buff Minorca, the Ideal 236, and two Ameraucanas (spelling? EE? dunno?). All female.
    [​IMG]

Same, slightly better shot. Boy, chicks make horribly uncooperative models!
    [​IMG]

I have other new chicks as well, not photo'd yet, hope to get them tonight or tomorrow. Off topic, but I don't what all the fuss is about concerning a battery hen. I've hooked mine up to AAA's, AA's, 9 volts, and even a 12 volt car battery, and nothing happens.[​IMG]

The last sentence was obviously a joke.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You just couldn't resist, could you! I have to stay OUT of all feed stores this time of year, or I will come home with truck loads of these fuzzy babies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by