Our chicks came a day early! (pics) and a question about water

gale65

Songster
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
north central indiana
My Coop
My Coop
We weren't quite ready yet but it didn't take long to get everything together. We got them settled in nicely. The only big thing we didn't do yet is to move the coop to the backyard. So it's still in our machine shed but we've got it nice and secure. DH thought it would be better in there since it's supposed to get pretty cold tonight. The pics look reddish because of the heat lamp. More are on my blog here: http://lookslikechickenscratch.blogspot.com/2011/05/chicks-have-arrived.html

P1000687-copysm.jpg

P1000694-copysm.jpg

P1000703-copysm.jpg

P1000704-copysm.jpg

and the question. How fast will these chicks (there are 12) go through a gallon of water? I got the vitamin stuff to add to their water but it says to mix it fresh daily. If they won't go through a gallon in a day I am going to try to mix up a half gallon. Or is it that important to mix it fresh daily?

what is that you are using fo the bottom? I didnt get anything together for that and ended up using paper towels over newspaper. I didnt even know i should have anything in the water. I have medicated starter feed.

Your chicks look quite happy there! Now, about the water thing. I've never really used vitamins in my chicks water. Like you said though, maybe just make a smaller amout mixed so they have a better chance of consuming it in a day. Enjoy them, and thanks for sharing.

Fresh water is always benificial however it's not always practical. I would take 1/4 of the package and mix with 1 quart of water. Even that amount will take several days for them to consume. When the quart is almost gone add another quart.

the bedding is equine pine. Pine pellets. I need to check the feed bag to see if it's medicated (I looked online recently and this brand said it was then, but now on their site it doesn't mention it) but the water stuff is just vitamins and electrolytes-totally different than the medication in the feed.

I have the electrolyte packs too--and a quart size waterer. I mix it a quart at a time. so 1/2 tsp of mix into the quart size waterer everyday. That way it is fresh everyday and pretty much they are ready for a new one anyway--so you can clean the water bottle and they get clean, fresh water. Oh, but I should tell you that I have 16 pullets--1 week old. They pretty much go thru a quart of water a day--almost but not quite--but at least I know its good and clean for them. I have a three pack and I am just going to give them those until they are gone and then not worry about giving it to them anymore unless I feel necessary--but they are doing so well don't think it will be necessary. Good luck and enjoy...
celebrate.gif

Thanks everyone. We only have the gallon size waterer right now so I'll have to find a quart size container to measure out a quart. We're keeping a gallon or two of water in the coop (the brooder part is separated with a cardboard wall) so it stays the right temp. So if I can find a quart jar around here, I can use that to measure out the quart. I have this one: http://www.savacaf.com/html/products/?id=125 so is it the one where 1/2 tsp goes into a quart? (I know I can measure it out myself but if someone else knows that saves me from having to do it. lol).

Back
Top Bottom