~~Our chicks-week by week *PIC HEAVY!* (week/update 3)

Brelansmama

Songster
10 Years
11 Years
Jan 24, 2009
McMinnville, Oregon
Hello,
I am so excited to have our new chicks! (Hopefully, they are all, in fact, pullets)
They are 5 days old now, I will try to post weekly pics, to watch how FAST they grow!
We are planning on getting more, when the breeds we want become available, but for now.....Enjoy!

Golden Laced Wyandotte, Tractor:
21706_chicks_3-13-09_027.jpg

21706_chicks_3-13-09_022.jpg

Golden Laced Wyandotte, Martha Jones:
21706_chicks_3-13-09_035.jpg

21706_chicks_3-13-09_032.jpg

EE (Feed store sold her as an Araucana), Abby:
(check out her GREEN legs! SO CUTE!)
21706_chicks_3-13-09_039.jpg

21706_chicks_3-13-09_041.jpg

More next week!

Last edited:
Week 2:
Everyone made it through week 1!
WOW! How fast they grow!!
Here are the week 2 photos:

Golden Laced Wyandotte, Tractor:
21706_work_day_hall-chicks_3-20-09_039.jpg

21706_work_day_hall-chicks_3-20-09_042.jpg

Golden Laced Wyandotte, Martha Jones:
21706_work_day_hall-chicks_3-20-09_028.jpg

21706_work_day_hall-chicks_3-20-09_030.jpg

EE, Abby:
21706_work_day_hall-chicks_3-20-09_036.jpg

21706_work_day_hall-chicks_3-20-09_033.jpg

And the new Buff Orps,
Rose Tyler:
21706_work_day_hall-chicks_3-20-09_026.jpg

and Buff Orp, Donna Noble:
21706_work_day_hall-chicks_3-20-09_022.jpg

Okay, to tell the truth, I can't tell the difference between the Buff Orps yet...we just got them this morning, and I swear they are identical!!

They are all snuggled up together sleeping, te he, so cute!!

More next week...

Last edited:
Okay, week 3, They are getting So big!!
GLW's
Tractor: She is SO SWEET! Every time I open the brooder, I count to three, and she has flown up to my shoulder before I finish, she likes to know what is going on...ALL THE TIME!
love.gif

21706_building_the_coop_3-29-09_039.jpg

Martha Jones: She likes to steel treats (today it was grapes) and run around the brooder, squawking, playing 'keep away'
21706_building_the_coop_3-29-09_056.jpg

Araucana
Abby: She is a feisty one, likes to tease the GLW's
21706_building_the_coop_3-29-09_032.jpg

Buff Orp's
Rose Tyler & Donna Noble:I have a hard time telling these 2 apart, one is a little bit smaller, that is Rose Tyler. They woke me up at 3 in the morning, I snuck up to the brooder to see who was making all the racket, and poor Martha Jones was minding her own business, sitting on the perch...Rose Tyler hopped up next to her, stared at her for a few seconds, then POUNCED right on top of her, sending her screaming! It was TOOOO funny!! The 'babies' (the BO's are a week younger than the other 3) hold their own!!
21706_building_the_coop_3-29-09_059.jpg

More next week...

Good question!! I am such a newbie, I have NO idea
tongue.png
I got all mine from my local feed store, so I am just hoping they knew what they were selling! I DO know (from what others on BYC have told me) that unless you get araucanas from a breeder, you are just getting EE's. It doesn't matter to me, I love our little Abby no matter if she is an araucana or an EE.

All that being said, yours does have remarkably similar markings to my GLW, and from my limited experience, I know GLW's have a wide color range as chicks, our 2 looked very different as day olds, but as they grow, they are looking more and more like each other.

Also, I know that all the chicks the feed store was selling as araucanas looked wildly different. Different markings, colors, some with puffy cheeks (muffs, I think they are called) and some with clean cheeks. So Yours could be an araucana...? You would have to ask someone with MUCH more experience than me
big_smile.png
wink.png

You have a very cute chickie, no matter what breed it turns out to be!
jumpy.gif

Great pictures!! I'm loving the weekly updates! And they're all such cute birdies.
big_smile.png

bygones, you might want to ask in the "what breed am I" section. I'm also a rank newbie, but your chick definitely looks like it could be an EE to me. For whatever that's worth.
smile.png
One thing is for sure, though--it's adorable!!

bygones75 - I was also going to suggest you post your chick in the 'what breed/gender is this' section. You might get better attention, and a definitive answer on your chicks breed.

Aracaunas or americaunas can come in many different colors. I have one that looked like yours (Bygones 75) when I got her last year. My Sp. Sussex have similar coloring to your chick also.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom