Our coop (converting a dog 'kennel')

jodeep

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 4, 2010
Hi everyone, I am new to BYC, and new to chickens in general! We brought home our first chicks March 25:

IMG_5857.jpg

3 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Rhode Island Reds, and 1 White Leghorn

and

IMG_5861.jpg

15 Cornish Crosses

We got our chicks moved out to the coop last night! They were really starting to stink up the basement..and the house! The hens weren't bad at all--but the meaties, blech! I snapped a few pics of the coop while we were working, and thought I would share.

Outside (We purchsed our house last August, and I actually took these two pics then)

IMG_2259.jpg

IMG_2260.jpg

All the fencing on the front we will be removing this spring. Each side has 2 runs attached--those will be staying. (We have hens on the left, meaties on the right)

To explain our coop a bit--the previous owners used this building as a dog kennel--they raised basset hounds. The building is divided into 4 pens--each pen is 6'x8'. And there is a center walkway that is 12'x16'. The whole building is 24ishx16. We need to do some reconfiguring, but for now we disinfected two of the pens to use--when the weather warms up we will get it how we want it. Also, each pen has an outdoor run, and the hens will also have access to a large penned in area to forage during the day (that is roughtly 75'x150').

IMG_6133.jpg

This is one of the pens as they looked before:
IMG_6135.jpg

IMG_6136.jpg

And this is what the hens pen looked like after...
IMG_6137.jpg

We still have a ton of work to do--and 2 more pens to clean--I disinfected the floor throughout, but the walls and stuff in the other pens are gross. Eventually we want to tear down the middle wall--in the hens pen for sure, to make one big section that will be 8x16--we have plenty of room to extend the pens out too, so that is nice! And my husband is working on a roost and some nesting boxes--so we'll have those soon!

Some pics of the meaties right after moving to their side:
IMG_6127.jpg

4 weeks old--I can't believe how they've grown!

IMG_6141.jpg

They were each weighing around 2.5 lbs a few days ago--I need to go out and weigh them again! Only a few more weeks until they are ready!

Now that the brooder's are empty--we will be getting more chicks too I think--probably another 15 meaties, and 8 more hens--1 RIR, 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 2 more White Leghorns, and 3 Black Australorps, and 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte Rooster--bringing our total to 15 hens, and 1 roo!

Quick question about the outdoor runs--since they were originally used for dogs--they are cement bottomed--will that be ok for them? Also, the doors that are on there, are basic doggy doors--right now we have them screwed shut so no predators can get it--but we need to get new doors soon--any recommendations for the best system? Thanks so much in advance--this board has been so informative!

Last edited:
Ok I posted about the dog kennel that came with our property we just bought but yours is supa nice wow! Put it this way, we have to demo most of it and I'm grateful the roof and supports are all good though everything else has to go but now I COVET your dog kennel. It hardly needs much done to it, great buy!

What a fantastic set up.......I missed what is on the ground of the outside run tho, is it cement or is that the part the dogs were in?

Nice set up.

Will mention that my backyard is mostly fenced with chain link. I found that the chickens could and would wiggle through where the fence met the house, and around the gates. The newer gates that have rounded corners. I solved that with adding a piece of connector with a clamp. See pics below
I did not worry about the run, which is also a chainlink dog run. I figured that they would not try to escape at night, and if they did, they would just end up in the fairly secure yard. Well, over the past few weeks I've had a possum eating the pellets in the coop, on the days I get home late. I don't like it, but am not terribly concerned. Well a couple days ago I go out to the coop at night and found the possum eating again, but the run has been closed for a few hours. So I chase it out into the run, then watched from the back of the run as it wiggled through the gap by the gate. It is a small possum, I don't think a larger one could get through, but will be adding another piece of connecter there as well.

Imp

15498_img_0182.jpg

Thank you everyone! Yes, we were very lucky when we bought this house! But chickens were the reason we were looking for rural properities--I couldn't have chickens in town. So when this came available we snatched it--house is perfect for us, 3 acres, heated 'dog kennel' and a 'garden' that is 250' x 75'. We are living the dream!
wink.png

As far as the dog runs--the ones attached to the coop are cement bottomed. The big pen that we plan on letting them into during the day is just grass, trees, dirt, etc.

IMP--thanks so much for the pictures! I will have to show that to DH when he gets home--great idea!

Back
Top Bottom