Our coop is done!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sugar pants, Jun 10, 2009.

1. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. River Lizard

River Lizard Songster

May 29, 2009
    Varina, VA
    That's a great looking coop. I like how you stained the exterior. Nice job.

3. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Songster

Quote:I oh so love your chicken house! This is the very one I was looking at. I do have a suggestion. I live smack dab in the middle of a very large town. I have wild critters large and small. I have two very large raccoons and various run amok dogs.

Please invest now on some hardware cloth to cover the run before you get your hearts broken. Or even put this set up in a chain link run with extra hardware cloth.

The offensive critters can and will tear the chicken wire apart and you may not be home to stop them. Yes, it is more expensive but so worth the effort. Again, I just love the chicken’s NEW home.
    [​IMG]

4. sugar pants

sugar pants In the Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    WV
    Yeah, I can't take credit for the colors or anything. The top is a dog house....came like that.

http://www.petco.com/product/11153/...spx?CoreCat=LN_Shopping_DogSupplies_DogHouses

I got it because of the removable floor and roof....and the nice looking door. Like I said, we aren't all that handy...and I wanted the girls to have something sturdy and dry as their home. It was luck to have the flower box in the same shade.

The rest is what we built. It was kinda funny because my husband generally isn't around to witness my crazy projects....just sees the end result. He really wanted to help with the chicken coop though because he's LOVED having them....so I let him cut wood for me. He just doesn't conceptualize plans the same way I do, so I had a hard time explaining to him how it would 'work'. In the end it came down to "Hon, just cut the wood and I'll put it together".

When we finished the platform and were ready to lift the house part onto it, he was still saying that there was NO WAY that it would work. THen we sat is down on top and it was PERFECT. Whew. Not all my projects come out so well on the first run though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: