Our Coop Is Finally Done!!!

HippiAiti

Songster
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Los Alamos, NM
I'm so happy, DH finally finished our coop and the chicks have moved in. Next we have to build a run, but for now they are happily not living in the house!

DH has posted his pics of the completed coop here.

Next stage is painting it, then building the run.
smile.png

That looks AWSOME, great job.

You will want to put some treads on the ramp for the chickens to get up and down though. Just screw some 1x4 pieces about every 10 inches up to make some little steps for them so they don't slide especially when it's wet.

You may have already thought of that and just haven't got to it yet though.

Jayare

I told DH that they needed that but he insists they don't. I'm hoping he'll see them trying to walk the plank and realize I was right.

Last edited:
Great design
smile.png
! You'll give the birds a lot of extra sheltered area beneath the elevated coop and that extended roof.

Does it have a ceiling? Or, is that hardware cloth below the roof? IMO - separating roof and building allows for better cooling during hot weather. And, coop ventilation can come up under the roof rather than thru it -
roll.png
avoiding rain leaks. So, I think that's a great idea. But really, do you live in a climate that allows it to be completely open above the roost
cool.png
?

Steve

It is gorgeous! Great job! I do agree with adding some treads to the chicken plank though - my plank is much shorter, only about 4 feet long, and it has treads, and they still slip between them on rainy days.

Back
Top Bottom