Our coop is finished.

Quote:
Ok I went to your BYC page and I have to ask....where did you get those feeders???
your coop is fantastic!

I am in Portland, so hopefully I can find them somewhere locally.

thanks!
Sarah

Quote:
As far a predators, we have skunks, raccoons, stray dogs and even have had a badger out here. I buried hardware cloth around the coop coming out 24 inches to help stop the digging predators. I used cow fencing around the coop run, but plan to add hardware cloth around the base also.

It does get quite windy here during the spring and fall. Hopefully everything will hold up for years to come.

Quote:
I will try and get a better picture of the "screen doors" when I get home. Basically, those are second doors that sit behind the main doors going into the coop so that we can open the main doors on nice sunny days. They sit behind the main doors in the same jamb area and open in the opposite direction. That was something my wife wanted added after I thought I was finished. LOL.

Quote:
I tried to PM you but it does not show the little reply arrow so I don't know if it worked. The galvanized feeders are from the Issaquah Grange, though I've seen them at ACE for about $12 (they can order for you and ship to store if they are not in stock). Holds 12.5 lbs feed. I love them though I have heard others complain their birds throw out the food by swiping their beaks. Mine don't make a mess with these. If you go to the "Washingtonians" page, Chicken Rustler made a little grid to go around the feed troph from a strip of wire fence. He posted a pic, took only a few minutes, and it prevents that problem. I raise my feeders at night to keep any rodents out.

The green feeders and waterer came with my Eglu Cube coop from Omlet. They have to be ordered from thier site. They are nice but you need the correctly spaced wire grid to hang them from.

The bucket waterers are just 5 gal buckets with 4 screw in nipples on the bottom. Keeps the water clean, but some of my hens prefer the kind the get nasty from their kicking dirt around.

Edit to add: I just looked at my web page, and it does not show the metal feeders. Those green feeders are from Omlet, they are very nice except for the fact that they only fit on the wire that came with the run. I ordered more to put in my dog kennel, and the tabs it hangs by are spaced wrong to fit on any fence wire I have, so I took the panel that came with my dog crate that makes it smaller for puppies, and attached it to the kennel and attached the feeders to that. The hens can't make a mess with them

Last edited:
Quote:
I will try and get a better picture of the "screen doors" when I get home. Basically, those are second doors that sit behind the main doors going into the coop so that we can open the main doors on nice sunny days. They sit behind the main doors in the same jamb area and open in the opposite direction. That was something my wife wanted added after I thought I was finished. LOL.

I LOVE those screen doors! You have a very clever wife. And you are very sweet to build them. My DH would say "Yeah, well it's done! You want them, you do it."

You'll enjoy them. The hens are fun to watch, very relaxing. I suppose if harware cloth were used, you can leave the main doors open on hot nights and still have the screen doors to protect them.

Quote:

I'm with her, that is what I want too!

Back
Top Bottom