Our Coop & Run and other home grown fun....

Quote:
For heat we set up an RV hot water heater and just let it direct vent into the greenhouse. The CO2 let off is good for the plants. That supplies hot water to a fountain pump which is controlled by a thermostat to pump hot water through pvc pipe loops that are buried in the growing tables.

A second propane space heater that has its own built in thermostat is also set up as a backup to directly heat the space when the warm plant bed system can't keep up on really cold nights. To keep the costs down we mostly focus on just overwintering my DW's ornamentals although I do grow some lettuce and spinach in the winter and of course use it to start my veggie transplants for the spring.

Quote:
Thank you and to everyone for your encouragement and compliments. We are very pleased with both projects.

We currently have a flock of 8 layers, 6 Roos and 3 mallards living in the coop and run. The coop is 10 x 12. It is divided into three rooms. One-fourth is our work room/feed storage, one forth is a brooder space (when needed) and the back half is the main room with double nest box, litter floor and roosts with droppings pit. We do have electric at the coop. Running water is about 20 feet away at the old coop that was on the property when we bought it. That coop was apparently converted to a garden and mower shed about 20 years before we bought the place becaus "the darn foxes ate all our chickens".

So far, I am pleased to say, the foxes have not gotten to any of ours.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi ChickCrew,

I know that's true.... it's a dirty shame... it is WRONG.... and at times, unfortunately.... it leaves me feeling quite angry
somad.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom