our coop & run in North Texas

I (vaguely) remember the blizzard of '66, climbing up the snow banks near our 1-story school, walking across the school roof, and jumping into the snow drift on the other side. It took days before the roads were cleared off. Grew up with "lake effect snow" and snow totals for the season ranged about 160-inches. Lots of hills too.

Also was an expat and lived in the Middle East for a few years. Sweat dried and crystallized on your skin.

Now I enjoy mild, coastal winters, and I laugh when locals cancel everything when it "might" snow. (I use to have to drive home from work in 2-feet of snow ... uphill. LOL!)

So You of all folks *know* what I'm referring to without a doubt. FWIW I've come to terms with my preference for dryer weather. Even though it's been over a decade since I've been to Burning man or, the So-Cal deserts like Glamis or Anza Borrego which was in the 90's.

So You of all folks *know* what I'm referring to without a doubt. FWIW I've come to terms with my preference for dryer weather. Even though it's been over a decade since I've been to Burning man or, the So-Cal deserts like Glamis or Anza Borrego which was in the 90's.

Ahh, cool-envy, same with my friend who went to Woodstock, the real one.

We have a cabin in Adirondacks -- wood burning stove, no plumbing -- when we're in the mood for upstate winters.

@electrycmonk, whereabouts in North Texas do you live? I ain’t wanting your dang street address or nothing, just the general part of the state. I mean, hel-lo-o, North Texas covers a wide range.

The reason I ask is because I lived in Lawton/Ft. Sill, OK, for several years as a kid, which is fairly close to N TX. My father grew up in Madill, OK, just north of Sherman/Denison or Dallas/Ft. Worth. My dad now lives in Houston. And my youngest son was stationed at Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls for tech school. Since I have so many ties to North Texas, I was just curious is all.

So for a few weeks they all preferred to camp out on top of the bags of pine bark mulch instead of the roosting rails.... I finally went out to take pics of them "in bed" as it were as I had made a better Indian bed(back story to term later) earlier in the day.... Well about half of them shifted over to the roosting rails - go figure eh? IMG_20191118_205205773.jpg

IMG_20191118_205201687.jpg

Update. The roosting rails were a partial success. The top rail was used, the top of the dog crate was used, and on occasion the 2nd rail down was used by a couple hens.

So I finally had a dry & comfy day to do the Transition to a poop board - today. Ran outta daylight to finish the edging to the poop board but, everything else is built and installed.

The Lime wash & DLM are definitely worthwhile. I expect to do another limewash coat inside the coop in the next month or so.

I'll take pics of the re-positioning of stuff in the next day or so. Want to finish the edging first.

So here is the curtain-ifed nesting boxes & PZD on top.

Funny tidbit. The whole crew was used to the 1" round dowl for roosting rails since the beginning. Well, after reading the cool thread on testing different stuff for roosting, I figured I'd give them a 2x4 w/wide on top..... Well, 1st night most were on the rail all the way down as I closed up for the night.., 2nd, 3rd, etal the fewer & fewer use the wide side of the 2x4 (facepalm) but, I'll wait till the weekend is fine to swap out.... IMG_20200420_184743981.jpg

Back
Top Bottom