Our daisy died. What do we do with daffy?

AKnewbie

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 30, 2012
Our female duck just died today. She seemed fine yesterday and when my husband went in to lock them up tonight, she was dead. No visible injuries. The drake and her were bonded. What should I do with the drake?

I would quickly find a mate, depending on what kind of duck, if it can fly, it's liable to fly off and find one. If not a flier it's liable to fall into a depression.. Sorry for your lost.

I'm dealing with a call duck right now that can't walk, has an injury under his wing and from his nostril to the end of his beak is sliced opened. The Criminal "HAWK".. GRRRRRR

For now, get a nonbreakable mirror and stuffed toy for company. Then check for rescue organizations, check Craigslist, ask around on the Rehoming and Where Am I Where Are You and this forum.

Sad to hear of your loss. It can happen, they seem fine and then they are gone. Very painful.
hugs.gif

Thank you. They are khaki Campbell's. doesn't seem like they could fly because they free range for a good part of the day. Amiga, you said it happens sometimes when they just die suddenly... What are the usual reasons? She'd been laying eggs this week so it's probably not that she's egg bound. She didn't seem sick. She was found with her neck stretched out in a position like when she'd lay flat when the male mounts her. Is it possible that there was an accidental killing while daffy was on her?

Well I have never witness it myself but have heard about a male getting to rough with a female and causing head injury and accidently killing a female, so anything is possible...

Thank you. They are khaki Campbell's. doesn't seem like they could fly because they free range for a good part of the day. Amiga, you said it happens sometimes when they just die suddenly... What are the usual reasons? She'd been laying eggs this week so it's probably not that she's egg bound. She didn't seem sick. She was found with her neck stretched out in a position like when she'd lay flat when the male mounts her. Is it possible that there was an accidental killing while daffy was on her?

I just have a hard time thinking that's what happened, I have Muscovy's and the drakes are huge compared to the ducks and have never had this happen, could she have swallowed something and it was lodged in her throat[neck] that may have caused her to have her neck extended? I'm not saying it couldn't happen with her and the drake but most of the time it's on water when a duck is killed by mating she drowns because of too many drake mounting her at once. So sorry for your loss and hope you can find Daffy a friend soon he will be very lonely. A necropsy would be the only way to know for sure how she died.

. A necropsy would be the only way to know for sure how she died.
Sadly, i agree. I am sorry for your loss. I had a mystery loss a few years ago, no injuries, no signs of poison, etc, just dead. I will never know and it wasn't contagious as other members of the flock of that time are healthy and thriving.

Do find a friend, and i wish you the best of luck with the pairing.

I am sorry for your loss. I had the same thing happen a few months ago. I agree with the others that it probably was not the drake. Ducks can hide illness and injury so well that there are things that we do not see and it can ultimately cause their death. Or they have genetic issues that we would never know about until it is too late.
I would get your boy two new girl friends. Ducks are so much happier in little flocks.
Again, I am sorry for your loss, it is so hard not to have an answer.

Yes, where are you? Would be glad to give you a couple of female ducks to keep Daffy occupied.

Ducks sometimes die of strokes or heart attacks, they can have an internal abnormality that is undetected, too. I took two of my ducks for necropsies at the state university lab, and found out it was egg yolk peritonitis. In her case, I doubt that is what it was.

She could have choked on something, had an allergic reaction to something like a sting, there are many reasons.

Back
Top Bottom