Our dog ate two of our pullets, electric netting ordered.

sugarbush

Songster
11 Years
Jul 24, 2008
Lexington KY
Out of the 31 we had we had three named and he ate two of those....He knows better, but just cannot help himeself. So I broke down and bought electric netting to protect the flock. Hope it comes in next week and I can get it up and running.... in the mean time I have to watch hime like a hawk....he can gett through the wire and into the pen in just seconds.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry about your loss of your two chickens. I lost my favorite chick to my dog also so I understand how upsetting it is to have one pet killed by another. I'm glad you aren't blaming your dog and realize he was just being a dog.

I hope your netting gets here quickly and you are able to protect the rest of your flock.

I know how you feel. I am really sorry you lost your chicks. My dog ate 6 of my chicks before I knew it was her that was doing it. (((HUGS)))

That's terrible! And too bad that your loss included two of your special ones.
sad.png

My dog ate our original 10 chicks, so I know how you feel.

Good luck with the improved defenses! I'm considering adding electric to my run to fend off our dogs and the coyotes.

Well, my dog is a chocolate lab and he loves birds of all kinds. I would not dare let him around our chickens but we did raise several pheasants to about four months old and released them here on the farm. Thursday, while we were gathering hay, he (Ren) caught one of them and brought it to my wife. Yup, she was very upset and I just had to remind her that he was a bird dog (retriever) and that was his nature. She sure was piped at him for awhile tho. Very sorry about your pets. Hope the electric netting works for you. Jim

Amazing why dogs will kill every chicken in a flock and not eat any of them. When growing up we always had chickens running loose around the place. It would never fail we would come home from school and see dozens of chickens laying dead in the yard from some stray dog. These animals generally got a bullet in the head from my dad. You do that nowdays and its called animal cruelty. The family pet was a different matter. To cure the pups from messing with the chickens, dad would throw the pup in a pin with a mean old rooster and let the pup get a real whooping, it seemed the pup learned that if he got too close to the hens, that old rooster would flog him until he ran out of site. A lesson he carried with him from that point on and he wouldnt bother the chickens anymore. Older dogs are harder to break. When we caught the dog killing a chicken, we would take the dead chicken and tie it to his collar with wire. That way the dog couldnt get away from the dead carcass. It would get smelly after a few days, but we would leave it tied on until it just rotted away. This usally cured everydog we tried it on, but you still had some dogs that just couldnt resist killing chickens, no matter what you tried. These dogs usually didnt last long around our place. Things are different now, but thats how we cured chicken killers 50years ago.

I am loathe to enter this topic, since last time I breathed mention of my own free-rangin- chicken- killin pooch it near started a holy war...but....if it might help you maintain peace between your dog and your chicks, then it is worth it.

Aside from a major whuppin with the dead chicken...we took poochie in with us to do chores, every day and night, on a leash. We made him lie down with the birds, let them roost on his head, and made him bunk in the barn with them (outside their pen, of course.) The idea was to teach him that these birds were part of his "pack" just like the cats that he had to initially be persuaded not to eat. Prior to this, I am sure he saw them simply as "things in my yard that might be fun to chase."

After a few weeks of this, we started giving him a bit of supervised freedom with the chickens...and he was fine, so we took a deep breath and hoped for the best as we walked...away. Tim has now been fully returned to his previous status of driveway-holder-downer. The chickens graze all around him, inches from his nose, all day, and he has not so much as blinked funny at them. He now chooses to go in the barn with them at night instead of the house- even jumped the barn door to get in there one night.

I hate to jinx it, but I think that Tim will never again kill a chicken. Course, anything is possible, and it has not been all that long---but it is looking promising anyway. I hope this maybe helps you out.

Last edited:
Now ,i know this story my offend alot of people, but please remember..these are VERY old school..vermonter farmers ....i remember my me'me((grandma, who's 94 years old ))..and my uncle(her son) telling a story about my grandpa..about how..when one of the farm dogs went after the chickens he would tie some chickens (alive) around the dogs neck(i know!..not right!)...to flap and squak and to basically freak the dog out...they claimed it worked...but..anyone reading this..please!!, dont try it...just telling a family story here...
hmm.png
...Wendy

Back
Top Bottom