Our dogs ....and Our Ducks

cute!
goodpost.gif

how cute!! Looks like the dog is going "I'm going for a walk, leave me alone." and the Duck says "No way, I'm coming too!"

We have 4 dogs, 2 Aussies and 2 Scorgies. We keep our ducks and chickens together and several times each day we let our dogs in the coop and out door run (110' x 30') to run around, make noise and be an active presence as a preventative to hawks. They all get along really well. Dogs don't messs with the fowl and the fowl don't mess with the dogs. Actually they can be found many times eating out of the same feed bowls gobbling up chicken layer and/or corn/oats. The only activity we must do is to make sure and collect the eggs BEFORE the dogs go out because the Scorgies have developed a taste for raw eggs.

Since my original flock brooded in my dining room(
roll.png
) my dogs all got to know them plus the original run is placed side by side the fenced area for the dogs so again they 'know' them.. I have actually had a few hens in the dog yard just randomly pecking about, they are all full flight however...

none of the dogs bug them but i can never 100% trust them, kwim? Fortunately, none of the dogs breed i own are high in predator drive anyways.

Of my 4 dogs:

Pointer: pretty much ignores them. In a large area I trust him with them, but I'd never keep them locked up together in a small yard, because he might get bored and decide to chase them for entertainment

Lab: not at all interested in the ducks, but they chase him and he gets annoyed. That's the only way I can ever see him hurting them is if he got fed up with them and snapped at them

Golden Retriever: scared of the ducks, when they chase her she lays down and looks at me like she saying "help!" They climb on top of her, biting her, and she'll lay there until I call her away, at which point she jumps up and makes a beeline for me, who will protect her from those scary ducks

Large breed mutt: would kill all ducks, chickens, cats, rabbits, snakes, birds, rodents, etc. etc. pretty much anything that is not canine is fair game

Back
Top Bottom