Our dogs ....and Our Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Amy S, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Amy S

Amy S Chillin' With My Peeps

I was wondering what type of relationships some of the members dogs and ducks have...

I ask because I have read about pets being imprinted on to some dogs turning predatory. I have a six year old 70 lb Am Staff mix (mutt) who has had both kitten and cat housemates. She was very playful and curious with them and has never had a problem with any unwanted behavior ('cept she hates squirrels) towards another animal. Basically - she's a very good dog. Now, she is a bit curious about the ducklings, but not in an excited way like she is with humans.

The brooder with my three runners is on our livingroom (it's getting really loud in here lately! lol) and she pretty much ignores it, unless they start in with the sonic cheeping. [​IMG] When they start up, and if she's already standing (she's a lazy girl...lol), she will walk over and peek in, just for a second, as if she's checking to see what the commotion is. After she checks, she'll go on about her business. We call the ducklings "babies", to her, because she corresponds children with that word. We have a five year old who she is very protective of. If you ask her where the baby is, she'll run over to our child and sit. [​IMG]

So, I am at odds at what to do when we move the flock outside when they are old enough (three wks old now). They have already been introduced, obviously, and the ducklings are super curious about her. They now call for her in the morning when I open her crate, and she will mosey over to peek in for a second or two to appease them. Sometimes they will try climbing the side of the brooder if she doesn't respond. I'm thinking "cute"..you know....but I don't want any bad things happening when we go outside together.

Anyone have experience with dogs and ducks? Thanks in advance!

2. MamaDuck1

MamaDuck1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2012
    California
    Imprinting on dogs can be really bad. But aside from that, my ducks, cats, and dogs all like eachother. But ill never underestimate their instinctive behavior so theyre never together unattended.

3. Amy S

That's how I feel....never unattended. Our dog has been crate trained since a pup, and sees it as a safe and quiet place. We do lock her crate door at night since the ducklings have been here. I don't want to take any chances without us around.

I do hope their interest in her wanes, once they get in their new run and coop. One thing I am very glad about is that my dog is very interested in keeping birds and other small animals from our yard. She's always on guard when outside.

4. PetesMom

PetesMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    My boxer and Pete are best friends. They play and laze are the yard together. That being said they are never left alone even though I feel they have this really special bond. My boxer has a really high almost uncontrollable prey drive, as with most other boxers, but ever since we brought the ducklings home last year he took right to them.

His first little gander at the newbies in the house
    [​IMG]

Remi our lab
    [​IMG]

Guarding his flock
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Gagas chickens

Gagas chickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Only at dinner time for my lil ones they will give a lil bark, as if they would like their greens.

But come to chickens different story :)

Very Jealous Dog.

6. Lute

Lute Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Socorro, NM
    Carmen-Puppy doesn't seem to care for the ducks and ducklings. However, she does LOVE the chicks. No idea why. I really should get a picture of her with the chicks. It's so cute how the chicks crawl all over her and she doesn't care!

[​IMG]

7. Amy S

Heh, very adorable photos! [​IMG]

8. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    I was hoping to be able to let my ducks free range but its not going to work. We are going to fence in the orchard for them. I have a cattle dog who loves to chase birds. Any kind of bird, chickadees, mourning doves, blue jays, woodpeckers, crows, hawks, eagles, you name it. One day she was running across the yard barking at the sky, she was chasing a plane. She also chases rabbits and squirrels and cats. She's not in it for the kill just the chase. I don't want her freaking out the ducks so its confinement for them. The only thing she doesn't chase is the horses but they always try to kill her when she gets too close.

My other dog is a cattle dog mix and doesn't get excited about much. She is a watcher and is very patient. She has caught a few small animals but so far hasn't killed any.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  9. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    You basically just described my dog. (one of them anyway.) The other I'm having problems with and I will probably NEVER trust her. But at least I have one I can trust completely.

[​IMG]

10. Amy S

Cute dog and duckling.

My dog hates squirrels, but now that I think...she doesn't really chase the backyard birds...pretty much ignores them. But squirrels? She'd probably go through a glass window to get at one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by