Our ducks won't go in at night

FlapFlaps

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 11, 2015
So... we have three little ducks and they have been living outside for a week now, just about nine weeks old. We are having trouble getting them to go in their house at night. The first night we lured them in with a treat, the next night they went in on their own (so we patted ourselves on the back for being great duck parents). Now it's a big production to get them in, and short of picking them up and putting them in their house, we can't get them to go in at all. There's lots of scampering and peeping and they seem to be having a great time.

Does anyone have any advice? It's tough when we know we have to leave and the ducks just seem to want to play, even though it's getting dark. They get let out at 6AM and we generally try to get them in by 8PM. Thanks everyone!

I would closely investigate the house from the ducks' point of view. Some possible negatives

not enough ventilation
moldy bedding
giant spiders or other guests
too hot (related to ventilation)

I hope that their day area as well as their night area are safe from predators. Many times new duck people underestimate the abilities of predators until it is too late.

....  Many times new duck people underestimate the abilities of predators until it is too late.

No holes/openings larger than 1/2" - including around door openings - it's amazing what a raccoon, mink, etc can get there fore paws through.

Another thing is, did you change anything in their house? Ducks love continuity and schedules, if you changed a waterer or feeder or bedding, any little thing, then they'll freak out and you have to start over... and if it's really hot, then they'll want to stay outside as well...

The whole coop is enclosed in 1/2 inch hardware cloth and we have an electric fence.

I am now thinking it could be ventilation - they have a little window, which is about 5x5 inches if my memory serves, which is covered in hardware cloth. Their house is 2x3. It gets into the 70s at night, which feels comfortable to me, but maybe their house is too stuffy.

Is there an outside lightsource that may be keeping them out of their house? Our babies do not put themselves to bed when I have the lights on the lanai on, they like to lay next to it. We have also taught them to go by saying "Go Ni-night" when I am leaving in the evening and its not fully dark out yet.

The whole coop is enclosed in 1/2 inch hardware cloth and we have an electric fence.

I am now thinking it could be ventilation - they have a little window, which is about 5x5 inches if my memory serves, which is covered in hardware cloth. Their house is 2x3. It gets into the 70s at night, which feels comfortable to me, but maybe their house is too stuffy.

That sounds like the problem... definitely make more windows, or raise the roof a few inches and put hardware cloth all around top of walls... ventilation is most important, especially ducks... they'd much rather sleep outside anyways... :)

I still have to put mine up at night. I cup full of peas and they go running into the house. However I think that just a single 5x5 window is your big problem. Ducks much rather be outside at night and a stuffy box with no ventilation is not going to be welcoming. If their run is predator proof top to bottom then don't have to go into the house.

Their house might also be a bit too small. I believe I read a duck coop should allow at least 3 sq feet per duck. If they're too cozy in there, then they're probably much warmer than they want to be.

Back
Top Bottom