Our first Broilers....

Keltara

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Small Town U.S.A., Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
We got them yesterday. Now I have to start reading all about the meat birds. Here are the little peeps:
IMG_4246-2.jpg

Oh, you're not too far from me. I'm in Oakland Co.

I ordered my first batch, coming in next week. It will be interesting.

I am NOT going to dwell on "cute" or anything like that, even though I know they will be.

I've vowed to refer to them as simply "the McNuggets" and leave it at that, and I'm also going to tell the rest of the fam NOT to get attached or familiar.

Just basic care and leave them be.

I'm going to reserve the doting and naming and befriending for the 3 geese I just hatched and the 12 Golden 300 hybrid laying ducks I got from Metzers this morning in the mail. They're all pets and will be spoiled, albeit pets with benefit of eggs from the ducks.

Last edited:
Congrats on your meaties. I'd like to see any updates you post so that I can learn from them for when I get my first batch.

Also... congrats on your new pet critters! Do you eat the duck eggs? My boyfriend really wants us to get ducks.

Quote:
Will do. It will be a learning experience. I've cleaned meaties before, just not done the butchering.

Duck eggs are the BEST for both eating and baking. Richer flavor but not "strong", very large yolks, and the whites really whip up extremely firm and fluffy for things like angel food and chiffon cakes.

Back
Top Bottom