Our first Broody!

Munkeesmama

Songster
9 Years
Feb 27, 2010
California
We have our first broody. she's been setting for about 3 days now. I've only seen her off the nest once. I ordere some eggs for her since we don't have a roo. She's got the broody look down!

49858_img_0019.jpg

Is that a fluffy butt cochin? Best broody i ever had was a white cochin bantam, she could hatch rocks if she wanted to. Its always exciting getting your first broody, and with them raising the chicks its great. Good luck on your hatch, what you got under her?

Yep, she's my project "lemon blue" cochin. She's the youngest of the bunch, but our first to go broody. She has her own unfertile eggs under her right now, but I have some ameraucanas, and some banyard mixes in the mail with her name on them
wink.png

I move Miss Ducky into her broody box (dog crate) late last night and she settled right down. I left the cratw in the coop for an easier transition. This morning, I went to check on her, and she was still on the eggs and puffed up at me. Then, I threw out some scratch for the the other birds like I always do and she went nuts, so I let her out. I gave her about half hour, and waited to see if she would get back on the eggs herself. After 45 she didn't, so I put her back in. It took a few minutes but she settled back onto her nest and is back to her mean ole' broody self. Guess we'll try this a few days until she gets used to the routine.

Back
Top Bottom