Our first butchering... a bit long

Garden Gal

Songster
10 Years
Apr 11, 2009
Virginia
For the first time in our lives, we began raising chickens about four months ago; we are both in our 50's. In light of current economic condtions, we felt it might be wise to become a bit more self sufficient. We have had pets our entire lives, but have never raised animals as livestock, and have only killed/cleaned fish which we've caught. Our "pets", until now, been part of our family. Today we culled nine roosters out of our flock of 18.

I hatched these chicks from eggs. I was thrilled when they hatched and have loved raising them; they have a wonderful coop and yard and were fed yummy treats each and every day. Knowing we would not be keeping all those which grew into roosters, I set out to not name any of the birds until I knew which were pullets or roos. I did pretty good, however one was named "Honeybun" before I realzied it was a roo, and another was named "pecker head" because he simply was an irritable, mean little guy. He "volunteered" early on to be high on the list of those to be culled, but in no way did I relish the thought of dispatching even this little ankle biter.

Instead of telling myself which birds were to be culled, I selected the two roosters which were to remain. It is a thin line, but in my mind made it a bit easier to gently pick up the bird to be dispatched. It they weren't one of the two to remain, they were to be culled. This worked fairly well with the exception of two guys I really liked, even though I knew I could not keep. When it was their turn, I had to really talk myself through the process. With one of them, I actually turned around and started walking back toward the chicken yard, thinking I just could not do this, but at the gate, calmed myself down, said a little prayer of thanks for his life and turned back around. I only cried at this guy's death and the death of the first bird we culled. NONE of it was easy, but I really tried to take the advice given on this site in regard to thinking of these animals as livestock, not pets.

We used the video by the Custer Family on Youtube. It was a tremendous help and made the entire process a lot easier. I was able to assit with the entire proces with the exception of cutting the jugular vein. Perhaps next time; maybe not.

If we were to do anything differently, it would be to have not fed the birds 24 hours before slaughter. My husband didn't think it would be that big of a deal, and we didn't have a convenient way of secluding the birds to be culled from the whole flock. After today's experience, he sees how doing so might have made things a bit easier today, so we will either come up with a way to segregate the birds next time or keep food away from the entire flock for the 24 hours prior.

I would have changed the birds to a finishing feed a few weeks ago ; they were still on starter feed. This may have bulked them up a bit more???

Our emotions have been mixed all day long. Both my husband and I are proud that we were able to follow through and do what we set out to do. He has been especially understanding (and probably a bit surprised) at my ability to assist in the process. We found the physical process a bit easier than anticipated (due to the good video). We both however, have felt "whipped" all day; it was emotional for us both. My husband had deliberately not "befriended" our chickens because he knew this day was coming, but even so, it was a "somber" day for him as well.

Pulling up to a drive through or picking up a package from the chiller at the grocery store will never be the same. I really appreciate my birds, more so than ever.

hugs.gif

My husband and son culled our first Coturnix quail yesterday (4 of them that were almost 9 weeks old) and, even though I *know* that's why we're raising them, I still feel a bit guilty for having taken their lives, so I know what you're going through.

hugs.gif

I understand the feelings-we killed a roo about 2 yrs ago because he was fighting(to blood)the sibling he'd been raised with.the remaining roo we killed last week and I know they are what is termed "livestock" but they're still a living creature and we need to respect them until they meet their intended end. thats why I started raising my own because the commercial food animal people treat their animals horribly and I will NOT patronize them. we name all of ours and (granted I haven't eaten chicken in years-soon to change) and the end is quick and both times I bawled briefly and got on with it. we are doing the remaining"old hens"and one fiesty cockerel(whom is quite gorgeous) this week when, hopefully, knives arrive. my mother ordered the infomercial miracle knives to help with chickens(she insisted). so will cry a bit then also but they have had VERY happy lives and quick end.(they're 5 and 6 yr olds)
hmm.png

This was a really nice post. Thanks! I will be sad when we do some turkeys this week, but its good to acknowledge that its ok to feel this way. Its what makes us truly human.

Thanks for the post. I am glad to know I am not the only one that feels sad, and I didn't even do the deed.

I dropped off 8 roos today at the processor. I have to go pick them up this evening. I knew the day was coming, and have been looking forward to trying out the "homegrown" meat, but I feel really lousy today that I chose to end their lives. They could not have stuck around because we have an adult roo and were already starting to fight with him.

I also said my thanks to them as they were taken away, and I don't think I will ever think of eating meat the same.

That said, I am looking forward to some chicken soup this fall!

Quote:
I just went to You tube and did a search on "custer family farm" and it came right up. It was very easy to find.

It was strange today to see only ten chickens in the yard... however, things were much calmer. It is good to know other folks feel the same way, and I appreciate the 'pats on the back'.
frow.gif

You did good job, it is always hard. but in a few days time they will be so yummy that you will feel a little bit better. you wrote it very well and they did have a great life.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom